Check Valve Problem

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Captain Galaxy

Check Valve Problem

Post by Captain Galaxy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 6:11 pm

I made an APH, but after I cemented it and started using it, one of my check valves started leaking. I've been trying to fix it but nothing has worked yet. Any suggestions?
Last edited by Captain Galaxy on Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Long and Prosper

SSCBen

Re: Check Valve Problem

Post by SSCBen » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:17 pm

How it is leaking? Where is the leak? Is it a leak from the solvent welded joints or is the rubber gasket failing so the water leaks slowly from where it's supposed to be kept?

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:19 pm

What kind is it? I'm assuming it's spring, but if it is swing, then make sure that it's always at an appropriate angle, otherwise, it won't work.

For a spring check valve, the most likely thing that could make it leak is that something is lodged in there. Have you been using clean (clear, nothing in it) water? If you use water that has particles it in, then you might run into problems with them catching and building up. If that's the problem, then you probably could just find some way to stick a brush or something in there and clean the rubber gasket.

Another possible cause it a malfunctioning/defective check valve. Try comparing it to the other (I'm assuming you have two) check valve to see if there's anything noticeable. If it's major, then it's defective.

Hope that helps.

Captain Galaxy

Post by Captain Galaxy » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:55 pm

It's a PVC spring check valve with a leak on the seam in the middle. The solvent weld is perfectly good, as is the rubber seal. This is suprising as the valve is rated for 150 PSI, much more than I could pump it to. The leak isn't huge, just a slow drip. Fortunately, it has nothing to do with the intermals.
Last edited by Captain Galaxy on Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Long and Prosper

aEx155

Post by aEx155 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:04 pm

Is it where the two halves of the check valve join together on the outside? If it's on the outside, then some epoxy / epoxy putty should fix that.