Removing discoloration?

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
KeltosJonn

Removing discoloration?

Post by KeltosJonn » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:44 pm

So, I have this old CPS-2500 that's going into our next yard sale, and I was wondering if it is possible to bring the gun back to its old gray color (its nice and beige now).

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:48 pm

Yes, it is possible to restore the original color. You could try painting your CPS 2500 back to a color close to the original. I'm not very familiar with painting and touch-ups, so wait for some experts to come by and give tips. ;)

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:09 pm

It'll be hard to find a paint color exactly the same as the original gray, however I'm guessing some kind of neutral-gray or light-gray will do. A simple can of Krylon Fusion will work fantastic. Make sure to prep the surface first by washing it clean, drying it, and making sanding it lightly with some 800-1000 grit sandpaper. Make sure the tank, nozzle, trigger, and other bits of plastic that aren't gray are properly masked off. Any kind of masking tape will work good since you're using spray paint. Spray very lightly, using the directions on the can. You shouldn't need more than one coat, however if you're going to apply another coat, make sure the first is dry before applying the second. Wait a day before touching it, even if it is dry to the touch. You should be pretty pleased with the results.

Good Luck.

KeltosJonn

Post by KeltosJonn » Mon Mar 06, 2006 6:20 am

That Krylon stuff is the type that becomes part of the plastic and doesnt peel, right?

I just thought there might have been some sort of car care product or something similiar that could restore a plastic's original molded-in color.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:23 am

In theory, yes, in actual use, not quite. The Douchenator WBL was painted with Krylon Fusion and some of it has chipped off. Spraying with a coat of clear lacquer helps protect the paint.

There probably is some product out there that can restore the original color, but you'll have to do a ton of searching to find one.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:14 pm

I'm assuming this Krylon Fusion works equally well for re-painting as covering discolouration, so my question is - given that in the USA and the UK product names are always different, and the companies often differ as well - does any one know what this stuff would be called in the UK, and where I might be able to find it?

I'm sure that I can find clear lacquer, but this fusion stuff sounds good, and I want to re-paint my CPS 2700, but would rather not have it wear off.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

DX

Post by DX » Thu Mar 09, 2006 1:51 am

Krylon Fusion still can chip off, and rather easily. That's why I suggested using clear lacquer to protect it.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

KeltosJonn

Post by KeltosJonn » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:38 am

Not to defeat the purpose of this thread, but do you think I'll be better off just auctioning it away in all it's two-tone glory? I dont know if I want to spend 15-20 dollars to buy paint I will only use once.

Peter MJ

Post by Peter MJ » Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:33 am

[font=&quot]Whether painting the gun in this situation is that terribly useful (you'll probably spend more money on the paint than what you'll get back in added value. I restored a Monster XL back to its original state last year that was quite sun bleached. In my experience, the body plastics are quite easy to paint after sanding them. Higher class spray paints will probably do the job (I used those and they have not chipped of yet). The biggest difficulty you'll have is finding the correct color though. The tank in most cases is the more difficult part. The surface is generally much smoother than the body plastics, the color is also blended in the plastics and not spayed on, so here you'll need to use something that is suitable for this type of plastics. I tried "normal" spray paints and it quite easily chips of. So if you are interested in repainting the gun and this part needs to be done as well, get some expert advice on which type of paint will not wear or chip that easily. In any case though, correctly restoring/painting the gun takes time and, in the case of good quality paint, will not be cheap.
[/font]

KeltosJonn

Post by KeltosJonn » Tue Apr 04, 2006 6:35 pm

i agree wholeheartedly with that last bit. I'm just going to sell it as is and let someone else deal with that hassle.