How to sell a gun for a stupidly high price.

Buy, sell, trade, or discuss prices of Super Soakers and water guns here. (For members only)
cantab

How to sell a gun for a stupidly high price.

Post by cantab » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:35 pm

If you're thinking of selling a water gun - any one really - then I suggest taking a look at this auction on UK eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BNEW-SUPER-SOAKER ... dZViewItem

That's fifty pounds, or about a hundred dollars for a Flash Flood!

Now either there's shill bidding going on, or the seller's doing something right in his auction description, because that's way over what the gun's really worth. CPS 3000 NIB recently went for about forty.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Re: How to sell a gun for a stupidly high price.

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:59 pm

I didn't even know this was possible..... If only I could sell my FF for that price...

But its in the UK. On the main eBay, FF's hardly ever get any bids.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:42 pm

The auction doesn't seem out of the ordinary. I bet the price has more to do with the circumstances than what the seller did. I can't speak for everyone but whenever I buy something on eBay I do my research outside of eBay and buy whatever fits. I can't think of a time I've been convinced by some auction's content, though I can't speak for the average person.

We should start a thread to track ridiculously high winning bids on eBay. It'd be rather amusing.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:57 am

Weird. Looking at the bidding history, all the bidders but the winner are shown as Bidder 1, 2, 3 etc. Is that normal after an auction has been closed to protect identities? Or was the seller scamming people after all?

kvdude

Post by kvdude » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:36 am

no that is normal only the winners ebay id is shown onthe auction if it is closed to protect your identity
My arsenal (needs improving!!) XP270, vaporizer LOL, Helix, Expedition, water warriors steady stream, shield blaster 3000, 2 uknown red blasters.

cantab

Post by cantab » Fri Aug 08, 2008 4:21 pm

Personally I think that's one of the worst things eBay ever did. It's an absolute gift to shills.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:37 am

I'll second that, cantab. It's not like your identity suddenly becomes more exposed after an auction has ended and you suddenly need extra protection.

And thanks for the note, kvdude. I've never actually noticed it before.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:24 am

Wow, that price was excessive! If people have money and want to pay that much on an auction, so be it. It's their money, but it's also their waste of money too.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.