PR Homemades

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Silence

PR Homemades

Post by Silence » Thu May 18, 2006 11:37 pm

I've been hearing more and more about commercial PR soakers lately, and frankly, I'm quite interested in them. Although they aren't too unique like the CPS and PCg soakers I've been leaning toward recently, they appear to get performance similar to traditional AP soakers with a simple design. However, exactly what are the advantages of using PR? Why did Super Soaker switch from standard AP in the XP series of guns to PR in the more recent Max-D series?

I'm thinking about building a PR homemade, but I'd like to know the lesser-known advantages and disadvantages of them first. I know that they are probably simpler and they have larger PCs; however, they lose all the pressure upon opening the reservoir cap, and in homemades, designing a layout for the barrel and pump can be confusing. Believe me, I've done searches for PRs, and I haven't found much...

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 19, 2006 12:07 am

PR guns don't have pcs, as PR stands for pressurized reservoir. Very technically, water launchers/cannons are PR guns, except that their "reservoir" is better termed a pc due to how they function.

PR guns tend to be cheaper to produce since you don't need to make a pc, hence the company switch. I would not recommend a homemade PR since pcs allow you to build a lot more pressure and get more power from your gun.

Plus, I've had many situations where I had to defend while refilling, and did not have time to close the reservoir cap. I could still shoot, however, since I don't use pressurized reservoir guns. :p
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri May 19, 2006 12:22 am

When I referred to the PC in PR guns, I was referring to the reservoir/PC combo. However, that was probably a poor word choice on my part, especially since the name refers to the word reservoir.

If PR guns are just used because they are cheaper, then I'll drop this idea. Also, I really want the battle practicality of standard soakers, which are superior due to the points you mentioned, so I'll just stick with those. Thanks for the information.

I'm closing this thread now, but if others want to contribute, PM a moderator or me to have it opened up again.