Win water guns for writing reviews

Community news posted by the SSC staff.
SSCBen

Win water guns for writing reviews

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:59 pm

The contest will end on July 15th at midnight EST. All entries submitted after that date will not be accepted for the contest. Email entries to be at ben at sscentral.org.

There will be 3 prizes. The top prize will be a precharger homemade water gun with a new type of CPS system. The water gun will not include the needed bike pump or a check valve in the reservoir cap.

Prizes #2 and #3 are to be determined. However, #2 will not be valued more than $20 and $3 will not be valued more than $10.

If you live outside of the North American continent, you can not enter as of July 2nd. I'm sorry, but after looking more closely at it, it will be very expensive for me to ship out there. If you have already sent in your review before July 2nd and you do not live in North America, then you are fine but I expect at least part of the shipping to be paid by you if you win a prize.

To help clean out my basement I will hold a review contest this summer. Prizes are to be determined, but they will likely be for the top three and will include at least one homemade water gun. Reviews of water guns that we don't currently have a review of are preferred, but reviews of the other water guns are fine too. We would also prefer multiple reviews from each submitter with as many pictures as possible of each reviewed water weapon.

The following is an outline of what we'd like to see. Not everything is necessary, but the more you follow this outline the more information we have and the more helpful the review is.

Output, level range, angled range, and shot time on all nozzles
Reservoir, pressure chamber, and pump capacity
Length, width, and height
Pumps to full
Shots per tank
Weight when empty and full

Photos from many angles
Shot images

Rating out of 10
Pros and cons
A detailed review
Review of a potentially modified water gun (if modifying is beneficial)

Read our content submissions page for more information about what makes a good submission and how to submit.

Shipping will be free in North America. Elsewhere you will have to help us out because it can get very expensive. I suggest that you register with something like Access USA to make shipping as cheap as possible.
Last edited by SSCBen on Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Re: Review and statistics contest

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:37 am

So far I've received absolutely no entries. Let me reiterate that there will be prizes and at least the top one will be a high powered homemade water gun, so if you want a free homemade water gun this is your opportunity. :p

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:12 am

I'll look into it as soon as I have sufficient free time, which could be in a week.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:15 am

Can the staff participate?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:33 am

Normally that'd seem against the point of the contest, but given the lack of interest I wouldn't care. I've added a bit about international shipping and how it can be expensive so if I'm extremely low on cash I'll ask you to help us out. Though that's what Adsense revenue is for. :p

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:27 pm

I forgot to ask as I have with iSoaker, can we submit .html's? (with mimimal formatting)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:02 pm

I don't care what format you submit as long as I can work with it. HTML is fine.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:49 pm

Just received my submission from C-A_99 and it reminded me about this.

The contest will end the last day of July at midnight EST. After that we'll think over the entries for a day or two and post the winners. We'll then collect addresses and send some prizes.

Right now I'm thinking the top prize will be a precharger APH I could make rather easily with parts I already have. I'm still thinking of what to do for #2 and #3 but they'll likely be stock water guns from the current crop.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:05 am

How many submissions do you have so far?
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:06 am

Just his. No one else has sent anything in. I should have said that in the post.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:17 am

Hm, as you decide on the prizes, what design do you have in mind for the precharger APH? I was thinking of building something like this:

The check valve placement and pump placement is pretty questionable right now, but it gives the general concept. However, this discussion belongs in the other thread.

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:28 am

Just his. No one else has sent anything in. I should have said that in the post.
So if i think of something and write it up and submit it, I have a high chance of "winning" if not many others submit something. :)
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:28 am

C-A_99 wrote:Hm, as you decide on the prizes, what design do you have in mind for the precharger APH? I was thinking of building something like this:
That's the basic idea. I was thinking about having a water pump on the bottom and an air pump on the top, a differently shaped water chamber (only the water part has to be inline with the nozzle, the air can go in any shape to better fit the water gun), and some other things. I actually don't know what I'd do. I'll have to draw some things up and see. It'll be interesting.

Maybe I could try a regulated pre-charger too. That would be an interesting way to get CPS, but it'd be complicated.

I'll post this in the precharger thread so check there for the rest of the discussion.
Specter wrote:So if i think of something and write it up and submit it, I have a high chance of "winning" if not many others submit something.
Yep. :)

Specter

Post by Specter » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:32 am

If you already have a review for a gun but no statistics will that be good enough for a submission? I would have to put my Storm 600 back together and try to get shots without the piece of dirt thats stuck in the nozzle from getting in the way. Or just try to get it out then take the stats. I can also ask my brother if he'd let me take some stats with his Super Soaker ESS Turbine.
I would have been able to write a review/get stats for the Storm 1000 soaker (which is also my brothers) but the trigger is broken. Because I see that you don't have anything for that one. I could take some pictures though, my digital camera takes resolution up to 2272 x 1704.
I can also take more pictures of my Storm 600.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 26, 2008 2:46 am

That's fine. Send in what you can. Don't feel limited if we already have a review of a water gun. Write another review or don't write one if you don't think you'd have anything new to say. For example, if anyone wants to send in just pictures, that's fine. We'll be looking at the quality of submissions, how many submissions were sent in (reviews, pictures, videos, etc.), and how well it fits together into our website mainly, so there's a lot of freedom to do what you want to or can.