Basic understanding of how the water guns work

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
Lucius Octavion

Basic understanding of how the water guns work

Post by Lucius Octavion » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:42 pm

I am very new to modding and making my own homemades, but I want to start this to gain a basic understanding on how an air pressure water gun works.

So I'll post this image of a basic SS XP 70

What I understand is that when the pump moves out the water comes out of the reservoir and goes into the check valve or something and air mixes with it and builds up pressure in the pc because it floats on top of the water? What I don't get is when the air comes in and when the water comes in and what valves they go through and stuff.

Can someone help me clear this up? I'm so confused.
Guns in possession:

Speed Loader Double Cross 3000, 2 Speed Loader One Thousands, SS XP 110, Splashzooka, used to have more but they were unfixable.

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:56 pm

First, take a look at this page in the HowStuffWorks water blasters article. It should describe the entire process clearly enough, but ask here again if you're still confused.

Lucius Octavion

Post by Lucius Octavion » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:07 am

Oh goodness, silly me! I forgot that the air is ALREADY IN THERE! Hhahaha! I thought it puts the air in there as well.
Guns in possession:

Speed Loader Double Cross 3000, 2 Speed Loader One Thousands, SS XP 110, Splashzooka, used to have more but they were unfixable.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:31 am

And then you have PR (pressurized reservoir) soakers...

In PR guns, the reservoir is also the pressure chamber; but the term "reservoir" is preferable to the term "pressure chamber" in this context. In PR soakers, since there is no PC for the water to be pumped into, air is pumped into the reservoir instead. However, these guns generally can't take as much pressure and take a long time to pressurize--and if you open up the reservoir (the cap doesn't have a hole for the air) to refill the soaker, all the pressure is lost. PR guns are just cheap models that consumers are ignorant of, although good ones such as Max-Ds can be okay.