Paid Hosting

Discussion of other water gun websites.
DX

Post by DX » Sun Oct 24, 2004 2:54 am

After quite a bit of analyzation, Nibordude and I may end up acquiring paid hosting. $75 total for top-level domain+25 gigs bandwidth/month, 250mgs of space, all this for 1 year. We have a very nice and useful site planned, but is it really worth $60 bucks for a year of hosting and another $15 for a new domain name? What if our content is stellar, but we don't get many visitors? Do you think it would be a waste?
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Neuro

Post by Neuro » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:43 am

Sounds like you're getting your money's worth on the hosting, but not the domain name. Have a look at GoDaddy. Last time I checked it was $7.95/year or something like that. I say try it for a year, don't commit to any more time than that. If it doesn't work out, it's $75 (or $67.95 if you take my suggestion). If it does, so much the better.
"I used to care, but now I take a pill for that."

You can pretty much ignore the times on that, I rarely ever have Xfire on when I play. I should, though.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sun Oct 24, 2004 3:43 am

BTW, me and Dux are splitting the costs if we do it.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

RacerSoaker445

Post by RacerSoaker445 » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:44 pm

I use Lunarpages for my web hosting, it has 1000 Megabytes of Storage, 40GB/Month of Bandwidth, 2,000 Mbit of Connectivity, up to 3 Parked Domains, and up to 15 Sub Domains. All for $7.95.

More Info.
I don't check this forum anymore.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 24, 2004 1:47 pm

Originally posted by Duxburian@Oct 23 2004, 09:54 PM
After quite a bit of analyzation, Nibordude and I may end up acquiring paid hosting. $75 total for top-level domain+25 gigs bandwidth/month, 250mgs of space, all this for 1 year. We have a very nice and useful site planned, but is it really worth $60 bucks for a year of hosting and another $15 for a new domain name? What if our content is stellar, but we don't get many visitors? Do you think it would be a waste?
First off, you'll never use that much space or bandwith unless you become SSCentral or iSoaker.com. Even if you have videos, it's not going to use up that much and be popular. People would rather go to an article that loads in 2 seconds than wait an hour for an instrutional video. While most people here claim to use high-speed interest, according to the site statistics most of our users actually have 56k. More dedicated internet users appear to pay for faster internet.

Also, the new SSCentral host has 500 megs of space, 20 gigs of bandwith, and more for $30 a year. Domain was paid last year, but I think it's something like $10 because Mist put it on his normal registrar. Do some research before choosing hosting. If you're interested, I can give you the URL.

I wouldn't get paid hosting unless you are completely sure you'll need it. When I used Prohosting, I honestly will say it had less ads, but the FTP speed and everything is exactly the same as before. Possibly you might want to consider blocking the ads. It could be complicated (and against the TOS), but it's always an option.

You've seen the website creation guide at the beta site. Read it if you haven't. That honestly is what you should do if you'll want a popular site. Make sure you make the content before you buy the hosting, and make sure it is unique and well-written content! That is extremely important to making your site popular.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Sun Oct 24, 2004 9:52 pm

If you want more space than will ever be required (bandwidth too) and as much everything else as you could want. Try BlueHost.
They offer only one plan, but it is as low as $6.95 per month (thats domain included).
Or, if you only want in for a year its $7.95 per month (thats what I do).

[at]Doom/Mist: where can you get a domain name for $10? The cheapest I can find is $18, and I wanted to purchase one for my video site(not soaker related).
[at]everyone: Thats the nice thing about having paid hosting, there is so much space, you can have a bunch of sites with your own subdomain, or get a Domain from a registrar and have it run off your exhisting webspace. Makes everything way easier.
Another tip. Do what I'm doing. I'm splitting the cost with a freind, and allowing him to have half the subdomains, and/or buy his own domain and run off my webspace. Its a great idea. I can share the space, but it only costs me $45 a year. And the support and features are endless.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net
--------------------------------------------------------------

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Oct 25, 2004 12:13 am

[at]Doom/Mist: where can you get a domain name for $10? The cheapest I can find is $18, and I wanted to purchase one for my video site(not soaker related).
Where CAN'T you get one that cheap? I've seen them go down to $3 a year, $7.95 for top-levels (.com, .net, .org).

http://www.godaddy.com is generally what is recommended to people.