Future Projects

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
DX

Future Projects

Post by DX » Wed May 31, 2006 2:13 am

These will have to wait for more funds, but I will try to make them!

41WL: A water launcher/cannon concealed within the casing of a broken CPS 4100. Will be very difficult to do, but it is better than having a broken 4100 lying on the shelf. And before you ask, yes, the 4100 has a fatal and extremely rare problem with no known fix.

MS Douchenator: The 3rd generation Douchenator. Improvements include a less-stiff valve, multi-shot capability, and slightly smaller design.

N00b Killer II: An improvement over the N00b Killer I. This time, I will better gauge the dimensions so that the reservoir will line up to the correct height.

APR 3000: The standard APR gun, featuring an improved tracked pump, inverted T pc, etc.

Duxburian's Deathcannon I: Beyond APR. An air pressure homemade along the APR designs, only larger and much more powerful. Dual inverted T pcs with a valve in the middle for 2-full-shot pumping. Large reservoir [still hate backpacks]. 1" or 1 1/2" pipe diameter, probably barely battle practical if that.

Deathcannon II: Beyond the APWL. 4" PVC, larger valve, backwards-L, beast of a water cannon.

Deathcannon III: Beyond the Douchenator. Over and under design with a huge pc and barrel. Say hello to massive power. Forget about battle practicality.

[*Note*The Deathcannons are mostly for fun. I want to see what a powerful homemade is like, since I have exclusively designed for battle practicality and not power.]

And finally, the most important:

The Silver Bullet Homemade: A great challenge. The most powerful design possible under the battle practicality limitations. This gun will replace my primary CPS 2500. It has to be powerful, while retaining high practicality on the level of a stock soaker. Impossible? No. Difficult? Yes. Hence why it is the silver bullet homemade, the gun which will unlock the final barrier to homemades becoming mainstream on the hardcore battlefield!
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

powersurge919

Post by powersurge919 » Wed May 31, 2006 5:23 am

How bout a gattling gun or multiple fire modes
like balloon launcher on bottom and regular barrel on
top!!! :D

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 31, 2006 8:24 pm

@ Duxburian: I'm interested in the Silver Bullet Homemade, especially since you're so vague about it :p ! Unless you're intentionally witholding the details, nobody's going to believe that it is the ultimate soaker. However, it is true that no one soaker has combined all the most appropriate features, which is a fact Ben considered in the 70-foot challenge.

@ powersurge919: That is possible, and Ben has even detailed possibilities for that in his CAP, but to me, it just seems impractical. If you want a soaker, you carry that; and if you want a WBL, carry that, too. Having multiple, smaller designs improves flexibility (you can choose what to carry) when choosing from your arsenal for each battle, and they are less awkward to wield on the field.

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 31, 2006 8:42 pm

There are no details to withhold. The Silver Bullet Homemade is a dream, not an actual design. [yet] It is a compact, fully battle practical homemade with the huge power experienced in a larger homemade. It is the perfect war design, and I don't see such a design as a reality in the near future.

It is open to everyone to help design. A tracked single pump and metal ball valve are preferred [unless you want to build your own version] but other than that, anything goes.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 31, 2006 8:54 pm

Duxburian wrote:The Silver Bullet Homemade is a dream, not an actual design.
Ah, I should have known...

It's an interesting idea to have many people contribute to one major project--so all the decisions will have maximum input. There should be a separate thread for it, and then it could be made into an article. My suggestion for now: Include some sort of metal ball valve-as-a-trigger, and most people should have caught on that I favor those. And yes, I do support metal ball valves--and my homemade might have a two-stroke pump where the grip curves up to slide along the barrel, thus being partly-tracked and giving maximum outstroke capability. If the pump won't be two-stroke, then people will only need to agree on tracked vs. non-tracked for the sake of the project. Also, the issue of backpack vs. on-gun reservoirs might come up somewhere...

20quid

Post by 20quid » Wed May 31, 2006 9:20 pm

Duxburian wrote:It is a compact, fully battle practical homemade with the huge power experienced in a larger homemade.
So you are trying to make a powerful and small but still battle practical soaker. Are you trying to make this almost standard issue in terms of homemades?(like Ben's APH has become) If so then I would like to see something basic, that can be easily customized for individual preferences, both weight and powerwise as well as anything else someone would want to do to it.
That way homemades will start to "evolve" and we should see some unique designs and advanced in the field all coming from one common simple design.

Even if I have interpreted your idea wrong I still think it will be one hell of a dream, especially as most peoples dreams don't come true.
"The only thing that scares me more than space aliens is the idea that there aren't any space aliens. We can't be the best that creation has to offer. I pray we're not all there is. If so, we're in big trouble."-Ellen DeGeneres

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 31, 2006 9:39 pm

Tracked v non-tracked wouldn't matter much for a single pump, but it would be better to do this with a metal ball valve. Even a PVC valve with an addition to the handle doesn't make it open and close as fast as an un-modded metal. Also, on-board reservoirs are more battle practical than backpacks. I can run noticably faster and swifter without a backpack, so much so that I probably won't ever bring backpacks again. I've tested this with nothing in the backpack at all, and it still makes a giant difference in how well I move. Powerful guns don't have to have them, look at the CPS 2500 and 2000 and 1500 and all the ones I've modded.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 31, 2006 9:42 pm

It's possible that you can be more agile with an onboard reservoir, but that's missing the whole point of backpack reservoirs: capacity. You can carry much more with a backpack, at least comfortably. The closest non-backpack gun to a backpack in capacity is, to my knowledge, the CPS 2700--and the CPS 2700 still doesn't have nearly as much capacity as the CPS 3000 (what is it, 3L to 8L?) or the CPS 3200. Of course, if you tap/pump and don't mind refilling from any source, that's not too big a problem :rolleyes: ...

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed May 31, 2006 9:52 pm

Even a PVC valve with an addition to the handle doesn't make it open and close as fast as an un-modded metal.
Have you modified a ball valve with a torque arm? Even the 1 1/2" PVC valve I had opens far faster than a metal valve with a torque arm. The 1" valve I am using in a recent project opens effortlessly with a torque arm as well. I do agree that metal valves do open slightly faster than PVC ones, but with lubrication and torque arms, I don't see why you are so against PVC valves especially given that they are cheaper.

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 31, 2006 9:54 pm

Not quite. The APR 2000 or 3000 is an alternate standard issue APH homemade. [I'm making amendments to the design before it is put online in a guide]

The Silver Bullet Homemade would be the perfect gun in terms of battle practicality. Perhaps it would become a standard issue homemade, I don't even know if it is possible in the first place.

More capacity does not always = more practicality. Capacity is parabolic, peaking around the CPS 2500 tank size. Too much smaller is not enough, too much larger is not battle practical. I'm using "battle practical" against the highest standard in wars, not the typical, casual ones that the majority does. You can stretch a 2500 tank over one hour, sometimes even two, even with periods of intense combat. I rarely have to worry about water at that size, however with larger tanks, I can't move as well. You can't hit fleeing enemies if you can't catch them.
Have you modified a ball valve with a torque arm? Even the 1 1/2" PVC valve I had opens far faster than a metal valve with a torque arm. The 1" valve I am using in a recent project opens effortlessly with a torque arm as well. I do agree that metal valves do open slightly faster than PVC ones, but with lubrication and torque arms, I don't see why you are so against PVC valves especially given that they are cheaper.
Unmodified, they complete an open-close cycle much faster than a pvc one does. It's not really the opening that is faster, it is the cycle. With the arm it could be made to be equal or better, but why make that effort if it is not necessary? Metal valves are also cheaper than their PVC counterparts in the Metropolitan New York/Northeastern New Jersey region. For some reason it is the other way around in other locales, but not here.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 31, 2006 10:04 pm

Have you ever used a hiking backpack (I'm sure you have)? If so, then you'll know that one can easily carry 50 pounds without feeling the weight. You can't deny that you'd like more capacity if you didn't notice the weight difference, and you'll probably need it for the APWL.

You might only be looking at a certain line of PVC ball valves, while other people are looking at a cheaper line. It's strange, though, that the price for metal ones is only good for you--but maybe you've also checked in other locations. Oh well...

DX

Post by DX » Wed May 31, 2006 10:22 pm

True, you can put a lot on frame backpacks without feeling it. Then again, understand where I am coming from. I am a rare example of the so called "non-existant weak sprinter" with no upper body strength. Because all of my power resides in my legs, any weight on the back is an impediment.

I buy ball valves locally, since only this certain local store carries big ball valves for reasonable prices.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed May 31, 2006 10:31 pm

Maybe, at larger sizes, the ball valves get more expensive for PVC than for brass. Is PVC pressed in any way during its construction? If so, then it would probably be harder to apply enough force for thicker PVC blocks, though that's a truly crude and baseless assumption.

That's funny--I seem to be more like a heavy endurance runner, which is also a rare classification. I guess people like me play sports such a soccer, but you need sprinting for that as well as endurance. Granted, I can sprint, but only for about 5-10 seconds (maybe practicing sprints will help).

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jun 01, 2006 12:47 am

PVC valves are always less expensive than metal ones here, regardless of the size. I can understand that in an urban area, metal ones would be in higher demand, but in my rural cheap area, people probably don't want more than they need. It makes sense that metal ones are cheaper there, but don't give PVC ones a bad reputation. That's what I mainly was trying to say because some people will read what you and I say literally and think to avoid PVC valves at all costs.
True, you can put a lot on frame backpacks without feeling it. Then again, understand where I am coming from. I am a rare example of the so called "non-existant weak sprinter" with no upper body strength. Because all of my power resides in my legs, any weight on the back is an impediment.
The reason you use a frame backpack is because the weight is not placed on your back, rather your hips which distributes it onto your legs. Carrying 50 pounds with your back is dangerous regardless of how big you are. Carrying 50 pounds distributed between your legs however is not anywhere near as big of a deal. I squat 450 pounds, so frame backpacks are my best friend.

Of course, if you use a frame backpack without a waist-belt and carry a lot of weight, you will not experience any advantage in back comfort over the same weight from a regular backpack.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:14 pm

Duxburian wrote:The Silver Bullet Homemade: A great challenge. The most powerful design possible under the battle practicality limitations. This gun will replace my primary CPS 2500. It has to be powerful, while retaining high practicality on the level of a stock soaker. Impossible? No. Difficult? Yes. Hence why it is the silver bullet homemade, the gun which will unlock the final barrier to homemades becoming mainstream on the hardcore battlefield!
One of my plans approaches high praticality, though (so far) I have no idea how much power it will get, because the design is so different from the normal. The whole design could fit in a Flash Flood if you used the reservoir as empty space and had a hose to the backpack (it might have a backpack, I haven't decided on that). I could decrease the size more it I could find smaller check valves, right now my design is going to use 3/4" brass check valves. I don't know what the performance will be like, because instead of pipe it is using 1/2 tubing. I don't know when I'm going to make it either, hopefully later this summer.