tracked pumps

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Scavenger

tracked pumps

Post by Scavenger » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:43 am

I am planning on making another homemade (will be my 3rd), and this time I want to experiment with tracked pumps. I wanted to know everyone's opinions on how to make a tracked pump, and ways to cut pipe vertically. Before I decided to go with a tracked pump, I had an extremely compact design, and it could have been more compact if I could find the right kind of check valve. At the moment, the pump is going to be pumping air. :D

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:20 pm

Tracked pumps are simply a waste of effort. There's no need for them to be tracked and it sure doesn't make them pump any straighter. My aluminium rod pumps pump as straight as they should, which is pretty damn straight.

I'd suggest focusing more on the nozzle and pressure chambers, as that's where the real improvements can be made.

Also, if you are only planning on pumping air, you can easily buy a high quality air pump and save yourself even more effort.
Last edited by SSCBen on Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:15 pm

Ah ok. As for the nozzle and pressure chamber, those are probably as good as I can get them, because the gun can fire water and snowballs out of the same barrel. That makes it an all-year-long gun. The pressure chamber is surrounding the barrel.

I think I'll just go with my old pump design.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Oct 16, 2005 10:14 pm

Every homemade I make has a tracked pump. Why bother with the effort? It's more durable, won't pop out, and I simply prefer tracked pumps in general.

Whether people like it or not, other options are always available.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:20 pm

Coco Man wrote:Ah ok. As for the nozzle and pressure chamber, those are probably as good as I can get them, because the gun can fire water and snowballs out of the same barrel. That makes it an all-year-long gun. The pressure chamber is surrounding the barrel.

I think I'll just go with my old pump design.
I would suggest making two different guns completely if this is your plan. Projectile weapons and water guns have enough distinctions to compromise the performance and usability of both when the gun is a dual-mode blaster like you described.

The problem with tracked pumps to me mainly is the extra effort involved in creating a pump (and the extra money too). To me, tracked pumps offer no advantages. My pumps never pop out anyway because I cement on a male threaded adaptor and use a threaded cap now, and previously I've only had a pump pop out once (which is enough to improve the design). Just a matter of opinion I suppose.

m15399

Post by m15399 » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:29 pm

For projectile weapons, I assume the main difference would be the PC size, correct? Wouldn't it be possible to place a ball valve right above the tee, so that when you closed it off, you would have a suitable size PC for launching projectiles? But, even then, are the o-ring pumps sufficient to achieve enough pressure to launch a small snowball?

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:57 pm

The trigger valve is behind the pressure chamber and barrel, which puts the base of the pump farther back then normal. I want to have a tracked pump so I can also support the front of the pump. I figured out a way to support the front of the pump and still have the compact design I mentioned. I'll finish it in 1 or 2 weeks.

As for the snoball and water thing, it was originally designed for solid projectiles, and I'm still working out a way to keep the water from falling out of the barrel. But shooting water is just going to be a sort of attachment to it, I may never do it, it all depends on if I need it or not.

DX

Post by DX » Mon Oct 17, 2005 12:06 am

The problem with tracked pumps to me mainly is the extra effort involved in creating a pump (and the extra money too

The extra effort can take more than half an hour, but there's no real extra money. A wooden dowel which costs little, a few cents for a fitting to be the handle, and leftover pipe for the track. I go basic here, when I make a homemade tracked pump, it's all homemade. While buying a special pump would improve preformance, it's like cheating. A tracked pump works fine, is fully reversable, and can be converted into a normal pump if it breaks. I also find that it gives you another area [the front of the pipe where the track ends] that you can use to further stabilize the gun.

As for shooting water and snowballs, if the first gun doesn't work the way you envisioned it, you can always make another. That experience is very helpful when making future guns.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:00 pm

Ok, I've finalized the plan and earned some more money. I am going out to buy the parts today, and should have it finished before Saturday. (It's fall break here)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Oct 19, 2005 9:11 pm

Neat. Be sure to post about any questions you have. Also post about your progress and completion because most people here are very interested in homemade water guns!

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Wed Oct 19, 2005 10:31 pm

This Idea sounds great, where I live there are no snowballs, and in winter it only goes down to like 72 begrees, so a normal homemade is all-season for me. Can you take pictures when you're done? This sounds like it could be interesting.