Project Sniper Rifle!.....

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
Dirtjump9

Post by Dirtjump9 » Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:56 pm

I posted this at waterwar.net but I decided to put it here too because this board has a little more activity these days..... :)
Well, after reading Doom's homemade soaker plans I got all hyped up about the crazy range he got. The thing that scared me was the ~100PSI it took. I also like the idea of trying to be original. Though the idea of a homemade sniper rifle is nothing new, I hope to be the first to complete one using CPS tech. And now thanks to Doom for his awe-inspiring homemade I have something to work from and compare to.
My idea it to have a 6+L backpack, a compact pump to keep length down, and an inline design with the PC and valve to maximize performance and response. The PC will be large but only large enough to make it worthwhile as a sniper rifle; after all... most snipers are one shot, one kill The CPS system should be putting out about 50+ PSI and will be housed in a casing of 3" PVC.
Right now I am trying to decide if I want the tubing that will fill the PC to be attached to the rear of the bladder or if I want it to be like a regular soaker, with a "T" in the front of the bladder (one connects to bladder, other connects to the valve and the remaining connects to the outlet hose of the pump). What would be the more powerful design? I am thinking the regular design because the rubber can expand more.
My first step is to disassemble (or recieve stats from someone else) my CPS 2500 and mesure the thickness of the rubber. If anyone has the thickness of the rubber for ANY CPS gun, please post it here and help save me some trouble
Any design ideas, tips, dimensions, ect are welcome and praised
Thanks

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:41 am

Well I can tell you something, make it as thick as needed. I work recommend 3/8"+ in thickness. I have a CPS chamber that's that thick (I need to glue the homemade together). I'll tell you how to make them that thick later, it's not too hard. The gun should perform like a beast, but the problem is that it has a small internal diameter (compared to my other homemades). I don't think it will be a probem though, because my CPS 2100 has a diameter of less than 1/2" at the tube that goes to the PC.

You'll also need internal diameter as large as possible (3/4" or 1" should work fine). That will mean ordering larger CPS tubing as well. You'll also need some very large barbed fittings for the PC.

Another thing to do is design it to reduce turbulance. Only use ball valves for a trigger, they have what we know as Max-D technology (it took me a while to figure out why they used a ball valve, I don't think the snap open stuff has anything to do with it anymore). You'll also have to make the design have the space from the nozzle to the PC be as straight as possible. That means no turns. That could be done a number of ways, if you want I could draw up what I think would be the best way.

Then you'll need the nozzle to be made just right. Make several screw on endcap nozzles with various sizes. Give me the range of each nozzle and I'll tell you what size you should drill to get the best range. You'll also need at least straws in the nozzle to max out range, they help make the stream be more laminated (old school term is cohesive).

I also would recommend 4" PVC instead of 3" for the chamber. 3" would not allow it to expand fully, 4" is much better even if there is leftover space. Also, I think you should make the pump as long as it can be. That way you make the most of each pump.

Good luck with the homemade.