Water Gun Range Increasors

General water gun discussion.
JuchTurtles

Water Gun Range Increasors

Post by JuchTurtles » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:19 pm

Greetings.

I'm new here and I'm wondering if there are any other variables that you can change on your homemade gun to increase range besides nozzle size.

You see, I've been working on an APH, with 1 PC and a pump on my water carrier. It has about 5/64" size nozzle, and it shoots about 45-50 feet, but if I could I want to make it shoot longer and farther.

cantab

Re: Water Gun Range Increasors

Post by cantab » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:30 pm

The laminator. Check the Homemades section of the site.

You could also try using alternatives to drilled endcaps as nozzles.

5/64" sounds very small though. The laminator's not supposed to do much for such small nozzles.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 12:27 am

For a constant nozzle diameter, adjusting pressure (not necessarily increasing--less might increase range due to drag) and adding laminators are all you can do. And laminators won't necessarily do anything.

I'm surprised you can get 45 to 50 feet out of 5/64" anyway, so I wouldn't worry much about range. Small streams are affected much more by drag so getting high range is very difficult. If you want mroe range I'd suggest a larger diameter nozzle.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:45 pm

Ben wrote:I'm surprised you can get 45 to 50 feet out of 5/64" anyway.
Yeah, I was a little off, it's exactly 39 feet to soak someone, and about 42 to the last drop.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:17 pm

Clean hose barbs and most water balloon filler nozzles work pretty well as nozzles. The balloon filler nozzles are a bit small though, and may not be prefered for higher pressure guns but work great if the pressure is fairly low. (about that of a hose, or maybe a bit less)

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:40 pm

I drilled a fourth-inch nozzle (threaded endcap) and will test it soon.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:14 am

You could build a VHS to test it if the gun isn't assembled yet. But then again, you might as well just assemble the gun.

Drill smoothly, quickly, straight, and to the center for best results. If you can't get a reasonably smooth stream out, you may want to retry. (That is, drill it slightly larger and hope the larger drill does a good job. If it gets too large, then you'll have to stop and start again.) But really, you shouldn't have too much trouble, and endcap nozzles can only get so good anyways. They'll perform average, only the hose barbs and water balloon fillers are capable of high lamination that allows a low pressure system to shoot farther than a CPS 2000. (that being my CPH, which is weaker than the 2k, but shoots farther from the water balloon filler nozzle)

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:08 pm

I have finished the homemade gun I was making the nozzle for, and you can click here to go to it.
SPLASH! You're dead!