Leaking Monster XL

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Peter MJ

Post by Peter MJ » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:43 pm

Hi,

I recently bought a Super Soaker Monster XL from eBay (German supplier, I live in Holland). The monster is a bit scratched so I'm going to restore it a bit to its original state, as certain parts are quite discolored. I think the original owner left it in the sun a bit too long.

My question is this: I tested the Soaker and after every shot I noticed that quite a bit of water stayed in the barrel after firing the gun and then leaks out of it (on the front side). Both in long or short bursts this is a problem. I do not know if this is a problem that is common to long-barrelled soakers (I also have a Super Soaker CPS2500 that I bought new that also leaks from the nozzle after firing) or if it is a problem with my Soakers. The Monster leaks quite a lot when compared to the CPS2500. Most Soakers leak a bit but these gun do more than I am used to. Pumping and firing the Monster both show no signs of trouble. After the water has been removed from the barrel (by keeping it upside down) it does not leak anymore even if the firing chambers are pressurized. If anyone has a comment about this or solution please let me know. Any tips on taking the Monster apart are also appreciated.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:57 pm

My Monster XL has the same problem. Water stays inside of the nozzle after the shot. I think this is very common. If you want to check it out, open up your MXL and check it for any leaks. As far as I know, there isn't anything you can do about it.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:26 pm

Welcome to Super Soaker Central Peter MJ!

iSoaker.com has Monster XL internals, but sadly no instructions on opening a Monster XL.

I would be a little more helpful, but I do not know too much about this problem. I've had similar problems in long-nozzled homemade tests myself.

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:34 pm

Yup, this is normal. The important label sticker on my Monster XL proves this.
Attachments
IMG_0136_1.jpg
IMG_0136_1.jpg (15.42 KiB) Viewed 1025 times

Peter MJ

Post by Peter MJ » Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:45 pm

Thanks for the replies! :D My Monster is missing the sticker you posted. I guess I will have to be a bit careful when opening it. I hope they didn't glue too much of it. As far as I can tell from the pictures at iSoaker.com, the internals are pretty straightforward. Fortunately I won't have to remove that many parts as the damage is mostly limited to the outside parts.

Wild Boys

Post by Wild Boys » Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:09 pm

Good luck with the opening. When you are opening a Monster XL just make sure you don't loose the screws. Its got so many of them.

Oh, by the way, forgot to say, welcome to SSCentral! :D

jam

Post by jam » Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:56 am

Peter MJ wrote:Hi,

I recently bought a Super Soaker Monster XL from eBay (German supplier, I live in Holland). The monster is a bit scratched so I'm going to restore it a bit to its original state, as certain parts are quite discolored. I think the original owner left it in the sun a bit too long.

My question is this: I tested the Soaker and after every shot I noticed that quite a bit of water stayed in the barrel after firing the gun and then leaks out of it (on the front side). Both in long or short bursts this is a problem. I do not know if this is a problem that is common to long-barrelled soakers (I also have a Super Soaker CPS2500 that I bought new that also leaks from the nozzle after firing) or if it is a problem with my Soakers. The Monster leaks quite a lot when compared to the CPS2500. Most Soakers leak a bit but these gun do more than I am used to. Pumping and firing the Monster both show no signs of trouble. After the water has been removed from the barrel (by keeping it upside down) it does not leak anymore even if the firing chambers are pressurized. If anyone has a comment about this or solution please let me know. Any tips on taking the Monster apart are also appreciated.
how much for the monster xl and is it good to use in water fights

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:27 pm

I don't want to sound rude, but this is the second time that you've posted in an old thread asking how much a water gun is. Peter MJ still is relatively active though, but he was not offering his Monster XL for sale.

Do not ask people how much for something if it is not for sale! If anything here was rude, that's it.