NEWBIE!

General water gun discussion.
sopopop

NEWBIE!

Post by sopopop » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:07 am

Hello all! I've been a fan of the site for a while, especially like all the homemade soaker files, and the physics files! My current project is developing a battery operated soaker capable of 80+ feet. cheers and welcome!

cantab

Re: NEWBIE!

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:18 pm

80 feet is high end anyway, 80 feet off batteries will be extremely demanding especially if you want it to be a handheld or backpack device. (It's not so bad if you're mounting the blaster on a vehicle).

There are two basic ways you can do it. You can either have the battery drive a pump that shoots directly. This means needing a high-power battery and big motor and pump. An alternative approach is to have the battery drive a pump that pressurises a pressure chamber (any time). This has the advantage that you can make it take ten seconds to pump then fire the water out in one second, meaning your pump can be smaller and lighter. This second approach was used in the Water Warriors Scorpion, probably the best commercial battery powered blaster made.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Re: NEWBIE!

Post by zeda.beta » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:43 pm

Welcome to SSC! If you are going for a battery powered gun, then I would aim for a 6-8 HP electric vacuum pump.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.