One of the more unusual uses of water blasters

General water gun discussion.
cantab

One of the more unusual uses of water blasters

Post by cantab » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Water blasters aren't just for having water fights: Now they've found a medical use.

http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/173/12/1496
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

SSCBen

Re: One of the more unusual uses of water blasters

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:12 pm

If I recall there was some discussion about this back when the article was written. I can't seem to find it at the moment but it might not have been here.

The use of a water gun here is amusing and given the lack of specific medical equipment its use is appropriate. Maybe a more useful medical device could be developed if they thought certain aspects of the water gun were better than the usual equipment.

cantab

Re: One of the more unusual uses of water blasters

Post by cantab » Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:18 pm

Specific medical equipment is I think a type of syringe. In the discussion on the site it's mentioned that the drawback of a syringe is too small water capacity.

The problem with most supersoakers, by contrast, is they're really too powerful. The original article mentions it was only pumped a few times, rather below its maximum power. I think for this medical situation one wants a relatively gentle, but quite long running, stream.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier: