Flash Flood Valve Leaking

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
elyz

Flash Flood Valve Leaking

Post by elyz » Sun May 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Hi,

last week I bought a new (=unused) Flash Flood on ebay.
After unpacking it, I realized it was leaking from somewhere inside the casing.
I found out that the flash flood nozzle, which is actually a ball valve, was leaking from where the trigger lever is screwed on. I tried replacing the o-ring that was in there and using lubricant but that didn't help.
Do you have any other advise?
Because otherwise I would just glue the hole, but that makes the flood nozzle useless.

Thanks
elyz

Drenchenator

Re: Flash Flood Valve Leaking

Post by Drenchenator » Sun May 11, 2008 10:50 pm

This is a very common problem that has nothing to do with the seal of the valve--it has to do with the spring that closes it. These springs go bad easily, so every once in a while they must be replaced or helped out. Read this article; it should describe what you gotta do.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

elyz

Post by elyz » Sun May 11, 2008 10:54 pm

Drenchenator wrote:This is a very common problem that has nothing to do with the seal of the valve--it has to do with the spring that closes it. These springs go bad easily, so every once in a while they must be replaced or helped out. Read this article; it should describe what you gotta do.
I read that already and it's not leaking from the nozzle but from the side of the valve, where the lever and spring thing is.
Do you know anything that could help with that?

Last edited by elyz on Sun May 11, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 pm

Oh, oops--I must not have read well enough, though the picture explains the problem fully. I do not believe we have seen this problem before, but we'll still be glad to help you out. If it's leaking from the connection point on the valve, it must have a bad seal. Can you remove the spring assembly and post another picture so that we can see the problem area more closely? I suspect that there is nothing that we really can do to repair the valve, but at worst you can replace it and still get some use out of the gun with the stream nozzle.

elyz

Post by elyz » Mon May 12, 2008 7:43 pm

Actually, I think I found the leak already.
I suspect it was not the seal, but from the area surrounding the seal (don't know how to describe it better, but look where the little water bubble comes from on the last pic)
I'll try to superglue that tomorrow and look if that helps.

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Mon May 12, 2008 10:43 pm

Judging by the second to last picture, I think it's safe to try to epoxy or super glue the hole shut. It looks like it's coming out of the side of the attachment point, but not the point itself; therefore gluing it shut should prevent leaking while still letting you open the valve. If that doesn't work, I suggest replacing the valve altogether.

elyz

Post by elyz » Thu May 15, 2008 10:48 am

After all nothing did work, not even sealing the whole valve
I threw it away, because i didn't want to remove the valve.

elyz

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu May 15, 2008 1:22 pm

There's no reason to throw it away. I'm sure you could have sold it to someone for a small amount of money, and if you bought another Flash Flood and that had a piece break you would find the parts of your first Flash Flood very valuable. It's a good idea to save even broken water guns. ;)