Collosus Mod

Threads about water gun modifications.
wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Thu Jul 01, 2004 10:02 pm

Okay, I recently got a hold of two full size bike inner tubes from a friendly neighbor, who is familiar with water warfare. I know the basics of collosus modding, slip sections of intertube over cyndrical CPS bladders. But how do I do it? I really am not familiar with this mod, and I want to ry it on my CPS 4100. Can anyone give me any helpful siggestions? Thanks.
Join the fight! Support water warfare in your area today!

strongshooter

Post by strongshooter » Fri Jul 02, 2004 12:31 am

I am exactly the same way, I just got a 4100 and it is dissapointingly weak compared to my 21000 (doom was right, power is addictive) so I was wondering about how to do it. I had the idea that I could buy latex rubber tubing of the width and thickness that I wanted from McMaster and just slide that over, saving time and money because I would not have to purchase expensive bike inner tubes. I am wondering whether you think that that would work.

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 1:42 am

Probably. Bike intertubes however are probably cheaper than stuff from mcmaster.com. I am lucky I got mine for free.

I just finished collosus modding my 4100. It was...interesting to say the least. I warn everyone this: I do not reccomend collosus modding the 4100. The plastic bit at the ned is very stubborn to come off, and once it is off, leaves the single nedcap on the ned very weak. It CAN be done, it's just pretty hard.

All the talk about it being really hard to collosus mod a gun didn't come true for me. I think this is for two reasons: 1), My inner tubes were a little loose on the bladder, and 2), I only used three. I am contemplating upping it up to 5 later this weekend. The results I got were still pretty good. Range increase on all nozzles. The 8.5x bnozzle now gets close to if not over 40 feet of range. and the second largest nozzle easily gets over 45 and probably close to 50 feet. I can now say that I have collosused a gun, k-modded a gun, frozen the check valve of a gun, re-inforced the internals of a gun, painted a gun, made my own gun, inhanced the trigger of a gun, and make my own gun. ^_^

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jul 02, 2004 5:00 pm

Originally posted by strongshooter@Jul 1 2004, 07:31 PM
I am exactly the same way, I just got a 4100 and it is dissapointingly weak compared to my 21000 (doom was right, power is addictive) so I was wondering about how to do it. I had the idea that I could buy latex rubber tubing of the width and thickness that I wanted from McMaster and just slide that over, saving time and money because I would not have to purchase expensive bike inner tubes. I am wondering whether you think that that would work.
I've had the exact same idea for months and have done it already. So it works, I'm not sure about them being cheaper though. I'm not sure about on a real soaker though as I've only done it on homemades. You likely will have to take off the end thing or saw off it and then replace it with a barbed fitting, tubing clamp and some other stuff to be able to get them over the end thing.

Here's a quote from Excelite about collossusing:
As for the rubber sections, if you feel like struggling or want to waste a few hours use very long sections of rubber (4 - 10 cm).
Otherwise, cut 1 inch sections out of the bike innertube that look like an "O". Obviously, you want to put cylindrical sections around the p/c, not flat strips. Use an innertube that has approximately the same interior tube diameter as the p/c. Don't use a smaller one. I found that out when I wasted money on a small innertube.
Wetmonkey, take pics if you haven't. We need an article on this. ^_^

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Fri Jul 02, 2004 9:34 pm

Too late...I just finished. But I am goign toopen it up and tinker around to try and perfect it. Not much increased, power and range wise. But shot time increased by about 5 fold. I'll get soem more exact stats later.

blaze

Post by blaze » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:09 pm

Originally posted by wetmonkey442@Jul 1 2004, 05:42 PM
Probably. Bike intertubes however are probably cheaper than stuff from mcmaster.com. I am lucky I got mine for free.

I just finished collosus modding my 4100. It was...interesting to say the least. I warn everyone this: I do not reccomend collosus modding the 4100. The plastic bit at the ned is very stubborn to come off, and once it is off, leaves the single nedcap on the ned very weak. It CAN be done, it's just pretty hard.

All the talk about it being really hard to collosus mod a gun didn't come true for me. I think this is for two reasons: 1), My inner tubes were a little loose on the bladder, and 2), I only used three. I am contemplating upping it up to 5 later this weekend. The results I got were still pretty good. Range increase on all nozzles. The 8.5x bnozzle now gets close to if not over 40 feet of range. and the second largest nozzle easily gets over 45 and probably close to 50 feet. I can now say that I have collosused a gun, k-modded a gun, frozen the check valve of a gun, re-inforced the internals of a gun, painted a gun, made my own gun, inhanced the trigger of a gun, and make my own gun. ^_^
8.5x close to if not over 40 feet? I get over 40 feet on that nozzle normally (about 42 feet) and my gun is stock! You should put 15 layers on the gun, and do a check valve freeze. That would be awesome.

PS: You said you made your own gun twice.

Monsoon

Post by Monsoon » Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:35 pm

Whatever Blaze says about the 4100's stats are usuall correct, so heed his advice.
Do not underestimate the power of stupidity in large groups

wetmonkey442

Post by wetmonkey442 » Sat Jul 03, 2004 3:02 pm

Originally posted by blaze+Jul 2 2004, 05:09 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(blaze @ Jul 2 2004, 05:09 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-wetmonkey442@Jul 1 2004, 05:42 PM

8.5x close to if not over 40 feet? I get over 40 feet on that nozzle normally (about 42 feet) and my gun is stock! You should put 15 layers on the gun, and do a check valve freeze. That would be awesome.

PS: You said you made your own gun twice. [/b][/quote]
Yeah, sorry about that. I know that is the usual range, but as I said range didn't increase much. Shot time was the only thing that was really affected.
[at] Monsoon: I can't trust Blaze's findings sor two reasons. 1) Everyone knows he thinks the 4100 is the best gun ever and that might "affect" his fisnidns a bit, and 2) I have had my 4100 for two years, and I am familiar with it's range, and performance. each gun behaves differently.

Godo

Post by Godo » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:13 pm

Can somebody maybe explain collossus modding a bit more. Perhaps instructions?

I am new the the forums, just got a 4100 to squirt all the little kiddies at the my summer camp and I'm interested in beefing it up without damaging it, if possible.

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Jul 07, 2004 8:40 pm

I would not mod your gun because (no offense) you will probably break it. The only time I think it is safe to mod something is once you fully understand how soakers work and how different types of soakers work, etc. Colossusing may not be hard, but that is for an advanced person like WetMonkey. Colossusing is harder than K-Modding, and will be very difficult for someone like you who just got a soaker. We would ahve to post up instructions and guide you through the way. This is not the way to mod. I thought I could mod up my Cps 1-3-5 way back when I was stupid and didn't know jack about soakers, and I ended up making it a piece of XPBackfire-esque. Keep your gun the way it is.

WetMonkey, I would not change range stats because the Cps 4100 is my favorite gun. In fact, it wouldn't be my favorite gun if the range was bad! Range is one of the reasons I like my gun. You would not believe the amount of times I have tested my Cps 4100's range. I constantly check ranges (of course I do it's my favorite weapon and I want to be completely accurate with it) for both my Cps 4100s. My average range on 8.5x is about 42 feet. Same with 2.5x. Usually for me 4x can go just a bit further, like 43 or 44 feet. But I would not lie about range for a gun so great. That would be showing that it is weak and bad and that I need to lie to show that it is good.

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:06 pm

Like freakymist says, 9 out of 10 times you MAY possibly break your blaster. However you cannot learn without trying. If your up to it, talk to Wetmoneky, I believe he has done it before and can offer the instructions step by step. Good luck with the mod, tell us how much fun you had afterwards. ^_^

strongshooter

Post by strongshooter » Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:22 pm

Also if you are going to start modding you might want to get a 2100 and K-mod it first by following the detailed instructions on this site, a k-modded 2100 (in other words a 21000) is an amazing gun with range, power and shot time while being easier to mod than the 4100. Also the 4100 is irritating to open and has a very strange trigger system compared to the 2100 and other spherical CPS soakers. The other benifit is that there is a very detailed guide with photos that will let even a beginner k-mod his soaker while the only soaker I ever k-modded was a 2500 and we are still trying to get that to work although if we do it will be a weapon to be feared (it got a 10 foot range boost on the largest nozzle with only half pressure before it broke another part)

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Jul 08, 2004 9:55 am

Originally posted by strongshooter@Jul 8 2004, 12:22 AM
the only soaker I ever k-modded was a 2500 and we are still trying to get that to work although if we do it will be a weapon to be feared (it got a 10 foot range boost on the largest nozzle with only half pressure before it broke another part)
You collosus a 2500, not k-mod it. ^_^ I have a 2500 here in bits, I'm trying to fix the trigger valve (I had to cut it open). I'm considering doing collosus...but as shot time is already rather low on the 2500, I'm not sure that I want to reduce it further! If I had a couple of 2100s, I'd probably try k-modding one of them.
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:33 pm

I'll write up a Collosus article later today if I can remember to. The real reason we don't have one is because I try to have pictures up with as many of the mod articles as possible. Speaking of that, I need to get Monsoon's XP 310 mod's pics up.

Btw, Collosusing isn't that much harder than K modding. All it requires is more muscle. It does however not get as good results improvement wise, mostly because it's harder!

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:20 pm

This site talks about Collossus modding a gun http://hydrowar.8m.com/mods.html . You can check it out and see if it helps.
Storm