Banzai Twin Barrel Blaster: Dissected/Reviewed

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
zeda.beta

Banzai Twin Barrel Blaster: Dissected/Reviewed

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:43 pm

Well, I finally took apart my Banzai gun, with the hope of making it into a nerf gun.

The gun taken apart. Note the extremely small reservoir that can only last a minute or so.

The pump mechanism

The internals of one of the barrels

This gun is unique, because the pistons are located inside the barrels, not in the body. But that doesn't mean it is any good. The stream is weak, and the reservoir is lacking in capacity.

Pros: Cool look
Unique action

Cons: Small reservoir
Weak stream
Slippery pump (When wet)
Short range

Verdict: Don't buy it, use the money for a Steady Stream instead.

Edit: Sorry about the pictures, the image insert didn't work.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Re: Banzai Twin Barrel Blaster: Dissected/Reviewed

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:06 pm

So the gearing makes the pistons alternate, produce a pseudo-continuous stream. Interesting idea, but those plastic gears don't look reliable.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:42 pm

zeda.beta wrote:Verdict: Don't buy it, use the money for a Steady Stream instead.
Or save the money to buy a REAL water blaster. =p

Well that's quite a different design than what we're used to seeing. It looks costly though because more check valves are needed for the gimmick to work. Also, where's the hand operated pump supposed to be? (It's not depicted in the pictures.)

cantab

Post by cantab » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:03 pm

The pump handle screws on to the lower rack gear. Attached is a copy of the second photo with the screw points in magenta. You can see the two pieces of the handle in the lower-right of the third picture.
Attachments
screw_holes.jpg
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:24 pm

Yeah, I forgot to attatch it when I took that picture. It goes on right where the two pegs are situated at the bottom front of the blaster.

And yes, the system seems very easy to break. That is why I never even have friends use it, because then they start to complain. ;)

At least it was only $5, but that was a total waste of $5.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:11 pm

At first I was hoping it automatically switched between the two nozzles, but then I saw where the gearing attaches to the pump handle. A YouTube video confirms that it just alternates by pump stroke.

It's like the old Storm pistols in that it fires when you extend the pump, too. Neat stuff. Thanks for the pictures!