Cheap water gun

Threads about water gun modifications.
Fredcompany

Cheap water gun

Post by Fredcompany » Thu May 13, 2010 7:36 pm

Would it be possible to take a cheap water gun (say $5 - I don't know how realistic that is - I live in England) and mod it, adding a PC, a better nozzle and a backpack?
Obviously it would probably cost more than the gun originally did, but would it be possible?
And more importantly, would it be any good?

The cheap gun I have has a fake plastic PC casing in it, and that just got me thinking. Most homemades just look like a load of plastic tubing and gutters glued together. If you could fit a third of the firepower of a normal homemade into the body of a cheap one, re-using some of the components, and added some other bits from cheap water guns (like scopes and cool bits), you could probably make a pretty cool water gun which everyone would love the look of, and still be scared of.

EDIT: On a similar note, is there anywhere I could get cheap check valves for a water gun?
Last edited by Fredcompany on Thu May 13, 2010 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a dude

C-A_99

Re: Cheap water gun

Post by C-A_99 » Thu May 13, 2010 8:02 pm

It is unlikely because the water gun's internals are not designed to handle higher pressures. If it's a pressurized reservoir blaster, you won't be able to really do anythign at all.

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Thu May 13, 2010 10:34 pm

But modding a gun that's a little more expensive like the Renegade or Flash Flood would be pretty effective.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu May 13, 2010 10:46 pm

The only thing you're going to be able to do with a cheap blaster (besides using it as is) is use it as a 'shell' for your own internals. The Works currently has a quite large one I think.

As for check valves - B&Q have a 15mm 'speedfit' valve for about £12. Can supposedly be used with either plastic or copper pipe. If you're able to buy online, screwfix.com has them for like less than two quid.

It is notoriously difficult to find suitable PVC pipework in Britain. Many builders have gone with copper, which can work well despite the weight. (Certainly brass check valves are MUCH slimmer than the bulky PVC ones, which will help you build a more compact blaster).
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Fri May 14, 2010 5:52 pm

thanks everyone!
I'll just use it as a shell then
I'm a dude

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue May 18, 2010 6:32 pm

martianshark wrote:But modding a gun that's a little more expensive like the Renegade or Flash Flood would be pretty effective.
The only decent mod you can do for a Renegade is a PC replacement, which involves hacking up the case tremendously and probably won't help all that much. The FF can take a colossus, expansion, and/or replacement of the PC, but you still have a really small reservoir to get water from, and the Aquapacks aren't available now. (Plus they don't add a tremendous amount of capacity either, considering they're backpacks.)

The Vindicator/Vanquiser on the other hand, could be a good base for modding but no one has done it yet. I know I probably won't be modding my Vindicator for quite some time though I may change my mind later and write-up on it. (I'll definitely try some mods if it breaks too.)

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Wed May 19, 2010 12:51 am

Modding the Vindicator or Vanquisher would be hard because you can't easily access the PC. I guess you could saw open the reservoir/PC though.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed May 19, 2010 3:32 am

Actually, I believe the PC case/reservoir comes off the pipe that attaches to the PC itself. If you look at the internals closely, this is likely the case; the reservoir sticks into the pipes plastic and seals via O-ring. You may have seen other blasters with internals attached this way, such as the Max-D 5k or mostly anything BBT makes. All HydroPower blasters have reservoirs and PC's attached that way.

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Wed May 19, 2010 5:58 pm

Would it be possible to turn the reservoir of a pressurised reservoir water gun into a pressure chamber by putting loads of balloons over the back after drilling a hole in the reservoir?

PS: I'll post pics or my idea if someone tells me how. Do you just need the code from photobucket or something?
I'm a dude

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed May 19, 2010 11:30 pm

The reservoir of a PR gun is already a pressure chamber. How do you expect adding balloons to it to work? There really is no way to convert a PR to a water gun with a seperated pressure chamber.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu May 20, 2010 1:36 am

I think he means something like my bad drawing, and no, that wouldn't work.
-Zeda
Attachments

[The extension bmp has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu May 20, 2010 4:34 pm

Use the Advanced Reply and then click Manage Attachments to attach a file to yourself. Or host it somewhere else and put the link here.

The balloon business is unlikely to help. Pressurised reservoir blasters get their power by compressing air to a high pressure. That requires a rigid container to compress the air into. An elastic container will just take power away.

And the pump in a PR blaster pumps air, not water. So you can't convert it to a CPS system, if that was your idea. (Whereas it is possible to replace a separate air pressure chamber with an elastic bladder, or vice versa, since the rest of the blaster is functionally identical in the two designs).
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Fredcompany

Post by Fredcompany » Thu May 20, 2010 5:07 pm

oh well thanks anyway guys
I'm a dude