CPS maximum

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
USSA

Post by USSA » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:14 pm

I'm designing a sniper and was wondering whether there was a limit to range... in cps terms... I understand that doom is building his new high powered artillery piece with xp tech... is this the only way to make a really high powered sniper.

my design uses a foot of one inch rubber tubing (mcmaster) with one quarter inch walls. This would have a good 4 or 5 layers and when fully expanded it will hold 1 gallon. You guys are the experts so tell me would this work? Also would it be possible to pump with an inch or rubber fighting you? :blink:

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:18 pm

Anything is possible but the price for your sniper will probably be sky high. About the range, yeah, I bet you might actually need to go to air pressure for the longer range. Pumping your sniper will almost certainly pose a problem.

USSA

Post by USSA » Sun Oct 31, 2004 11:16 pm

why would I need to go to air pressure though? I was under the impression you got the best preformance with cps... maybe I'm just nieve (sp?)

price is not a problem I have about 300 bucks to use.

pumping wouldn't get harder as time goes on would it... I mean when blowing up a party balloon it requires the same pressure for the first breath than the last... Of course that first "breath" would be very hard to blow.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? should I sXPBackfire-esque the project and move on to a different means of pressurization?

Crashdummy

Post by Crashdummy » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:32 am

No, There is only so much that cps can do. But as for pumping it would be hard. I mean hey, if pumping soakers is as hard as is it, then what do you think 4-5 layers of your tubing will do?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 01, 2004 4:40 pm

Sure you can make a CPS sniper. My CPS homemade before the PC blew could shoot water over 60 feet. Of course, the PC was over 1/2" thick. You'll have to buy several thicknesses of tubing to Collosus it. And on top of that, lots of bike tubes. The thicker the better, remember. That's pretty much all you need to know.

USSA

Post by USSA » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:50 pm

I'm thinking a hundred feet with one inch... your gun had a half inch with 60 feet. Can I just double that? (If only physics were that easy)

Oh do u have any pics of the cps homemade. I'm not asking for directions or anything... just a helpfull picture (they tell a thousand words after all)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:12 pm

Before I continue, please use proper capitalization and realize this isn't AIM. I find it hard to read when someone write u instead of you and doesn't capitalize correctly.

No, one inch thick would not go 100 feet. There are many more physics involved.

Yes I do have many images. I will have to get them. The design is similar to that of the APH, as is most all homemades. I'd just design it by yourself, you DO NOT need images. All you need is knowledge of how a water gun works. That is the basis and will always be the basis. I'll get some images, but don't expect them to teach you all and everything. You should learn that before thinking of making a homemade.

Again, I'll bring up the little story about how I designed my APH. I just went to the store, saw what was in stock and bought it. Designed in the store, from what was there! You should go into the store with an idea of what you want to do, but ultimately base how you are going to do it on what is in stock.

Also, if you're looking for a 1 inch thick chamber... prepare to work for weeks. The most LRT you can get stacked together is about 1/2 an inch. From there you could get bike tubes like I did. However, you should use different sizes of bike tubes, so that it will be even. Make the first few layers from one size, the next from a larger one. That is how you should construct your CPS PC.

USSA

Post by USSA » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:53 pm

Thanks, I've already built a APH so I guess I will just use the same design (The APH works great thanks for the design)

I was just looking at your max-d tech article and was wondering do pnematic valves open directly or would I wind up suffering huge consequences due to roundabout ways for redirecting the water? I would probabaly switch to a ball valve in that case because I'm trying to make flow of the water seamless. (everything from pc to nozzle is in a straight line)

On another note I was wondering how much the rubber tubing on mcmaster expand before it cracks? (I realize that it said 850% but yours did crack) I don't want to run into the same problem that you did and have to go through the whole case of recollossus mod it.

On the note of of collossus modding would it work just as well to cut your bike tubes into 3 inch segments and then put them on as rings? I've never tried this but it seems like this would be a MUCH easier design. Multiple layers could of course overlap.

What would be required to shoot 100 feet? I know this is a tall order but wouldn't a super collossus modded cps 2000 shoot with that range.

Sorry about the lack of capitilization, punctuation et cetera.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:05 pm

I am PMing you the location of the beta site. It will be released in a few short days, so those who'd like to see it should just wait. Please read the tech articles for more info.