Metal wires from packaging (usually BBT packaging)

Threads about water gun modifications.
C-A_99

Metal wires from packaging (usually BBT packaging)

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:05 am

Today's water warfare DIY tips brought to you by:

Anywho, some blasters are packaged with plastic cable ties, others with some stringy material, and yet some are string with metal wires. Cable ties are great, but those wires are easier to reuse (you don't need a flathead screw driver like you do for cable ties to reuse them) and work quite well. Here's a sample of what's possible:

(Sorry for the blurry pics.)

Straps:
If you haven't figured out how to make straps yet, this just may help. You can create hooks using cable ties OR using the metal wires. To create the strap itself, you need:
- Two hooks
- Two strap adjusters
- 4 to 6 feet strap

All of the above can be found at ACE hardware. Step-by-step to building:
- Put strap adjusters on strap forming loop at each end; use picture or Super Soaker/Water Warriors strap as reference.
- Once adjusters are in place, use a hair dryer to melt the ends so that the strands of fiber "stick" together. This prevents said strands from untangling.
- For added security, fold the straps at the end to create "stoppers". If you have an industry-quality heavy-duty stapler, you can use that to keep the strap ends folded. Gorilla glue, epoxy, and/or hot glue also work provided not too much stress is exerted on the "stopper".
- Connect the ends to the hooks, then the hooks to the blaster's hooks.

Hooks: You can use just about anything. I'd recommend something that rotates easily and can be easily removed (i.e. those fancy hooks that open with a spring-loaded thingy). If the strap does not fit on the hook of your choice directly, use a large keyring (keychain ring) to connect the strap to the hook.

Now, everything from the hook to the blaster should be made of metal for durability. If you are connecting metal strap hooks to stock plastic blaster hooks, I'd recommend adding cable ties as an intermediary between them so the stock hooks wear out more slowly. If the stock hooks break, or if they don't exist, use the metal wires or cable ties to create them.

This method of strap making is quite useful for Nerf blasters too. The Nerf Stampede, Longshot, and Recon all have stock hooks but you can also make your own for added durability.

Now as you all know, straps only work for the big guns. What about for your sidearm? There are many ways to holster a sidearm, but over the years, I have settled on simply wearing pants with large pockets. I also use belt-hooked accessories now. (This method also works for Nerf sidearms.)

Today, I just came up with a new way to hook it together. Previously, I've been using the duct tape and coathanger method as seen at SSC:
http://www.sscentral.org/mods/accessory.html

However, duct tape often does not cooperate and always leaves obscene amounts of residue on the otherwise nice and shiny blaster. It is rather a waste too because the darn thing always falls apart easily. A cleaner method is to use the metal wires to keep the hooks/clips in place. Use the above pictures for reference. (You still need the coathanger wire; the thin wire is too weak.)

- Bend coathanger wire into place.
- Wrap thin wire to coathanger wire twice as pictured; make a knot around each connection with the coathanger wire for added security.
- Tighten the knots as best as you can. This is tricky and will make your fingers sore.
- Wrap metal wire across blaster and secure it tightly with a twist-up.
- Repeat; connect other thin wire to the two points of the coathanger wire in the same manner.

Watch for the spacing between the two points where the thin wire grips the coathanger wire.

Now, as for water balloon holding canisters/cups as well as water bottles, I still use good ol' duct tape. Those are generally disposable items.

The main caveat to this solution is that you need to be wearing a belt. However, it works fairly well from my own experiences. I used these methods for 2008 and 2009 wars and they are making a return for 2011. If all else fails, I can always pocket the blasters again.

Now, where else can the metal wires be found? I'm actually not sure, but if you look around enough you should be able to find something like that.

atvan

Re: Metal wires from packaging (usually BBT packaging)

Post by atvan » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:03 pm

Lol, just lol, you sound like an infomercial.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:00 pm

I wrote this at 2 in the morning and wasn't in a situation to write it up professionally, haha.

Article posted to iSoaker wiki: http://www.isoaker.net/isnet/Wiki/index ... Belt_Clips
Last edited by C-A_99 on Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SEAL

Post by SEAL » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:07 pm

atvan wrote:Lol, just lol, you sound like an infomercial.
It's true. :p

Anyway, I like the strap idea; Might not work too well for some blasters, but it should work for some blasters that I have which are in need of straps. Now I just need to find some of those wires...
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:55 pm

Disclaimer: ACE Hardware was only mentioned as a suggestion to mean any hardware store in your local area. HBWW is not affiliated with nor endorsed by, nor does it endorse ACE Hardware.

lol

To be honest, I've never had a medium sized or larger blaster that didn't work with the strap method I use. Some don't work all that great, but they still end up working nonetheless. Anything smaller than the XP270 or FF however, probably isn't worth bothering with.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:59 pm

The problem with this is that Hasbro is going green, so they're currently using twine for Nerf. However, I like the idea for the straps.

Edit: I remember all of my old Transformers having the metal wires, and also a bunch of other toys. Now though, the toys my cousin gets have tape, rubber bands, and twine.
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:48 pm

Hasbro used cable ties earlier, and many of then are very difficult if not impossible to undo (and have to be cut). Cutting often renders cable ties useless if the head can no longer grip onto something. I don't know if BBT is still using the metal wiring either. I thought I saw them switch over to something else, but iSoaker's pictures show that they all still use metal wiring.