Search annoyance

Suggestions, comments, questions, and developments related to the Super Soaker Central site and forums.
Silence

Search annoyance

Post by Silence » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:47 pm

Is there anybody else who sometimes gets annoyed by the search feature that eliminates search terms shorter than 4 letters? I'd say at least 75% of what I search for is a word three letters long, and having the filter remove it is ridiculously annoying.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:40 am

You'll have to use Google for those terms.

Search site function = useful.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:34 pm

The minimum word length can be changed, but apparently it'd make our database larger. We do have a lot of space left right now, but our database is already 80 MB alone, so I'd prefer for it to stay relatively small. The vBulletin search database actually isn't very good either. I really would suggest Google as joanna suggested. Add site:forums.sscentral.org before your search term and you'll get good results.

Be aware that Google won't search the Buy/Sell category because it is invisible to guests. In the past, some people felt that posting eBay auctions publicly gave them to guests, so to keep our members from getting angry, guests can not view the Buy/Sell category.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:39 pm

How is that possible?

I have the QFD post in the Buy/sell section, and I've received lots of e-mails from guests.

I assume that a member would post on the forums other than e-mailing me.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:49 pm

Hmm... it does appear that the Buy/Sell forum is visible to guests. I never checked, in fact I assumed that vBulletin converted that correctly.

Doesn't matter though. I never actually thought that guests were causing too much of a problem. That and sadly no on actually posts eBay auctions any longer.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:10 pm

I try to post ebay auctions when I search - but I only ever search with a sense of interest to see what is going around. I never do so that often.

Besides, my research into UK auctions won't mean much to most of the members on this forum.

Silence

Post by Silence » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:08 pm

Okay, thanks for the replies...I guess I should have used Site Search anyway. Thanks goodness for Googlebar!

I never bother searching eBay for soakers any more. I did it for a few weeks, but not much turned up--and I probably wouldn't be allowed to get anything anyway.