Sniper rifle homemade

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
mr. dude

Sniper rifle homemade

Post by mr. dude » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:19 pm

Though the original APH idea does have great range, could that not be increased? My idea involves a more laminar flow for the water to go through. This is accomplished by having the pressure chamber be part of the gun rather than a bulb sticking out of it. I have provided a picture for a little clarification:
Basically, my idea is making one PC rather than the original two, and having it line up with the ball valve. To make this, start off like you would any separate PC homemade, and just attach the PC directly to the check valve instead of attaching it to a tee leading to the check valve. This should give the stream a more laminar flow than the original APH design.
I have yet to try this, but I'll probably do it on my current APH (I need to return the PC's anyway).

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:33 pm

This idea has already been dismissed. APH PCs work best in an upright fashion, as a "bulb" off the side.

Water goes to the bottom of the chamber.

Point that up at 45 degrees - what will happen? - you'll shoot only air.

Running pipes/hoses along the chamber will not really work very well (and will prevent shooting down), so I would look for a new idea, rather than trying to salvage this one.

What do you mean "I need to return the PCs"?
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:39 pm

I am sorry, but your idea will not work. Though you are correct about increasing laminar flow by allowing "linear" flow to the trigger valve, you forgot one thing. The "bulbs" have to exist because the air rises while the water sinks. In your idea, the air would push some of the water out, but they just escape once an unobstructed path is made. It you angle this gun up to shoot it, it would not even shoot any water, only air would come out.

If you really wanted to improve this design, you probably should build an air piston homemade. The piston would separate the water and air, so you would not have to worry about them mixing. I could try to provide a diagram of this if you need one. At the moment, I can not create one, but I could make a diagram later if needed.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:42 pm

Thank you for bringing that idea up, it never occured to me until now.
To fix this, a precharger-type thing could be used, so the air and water wouldn't be merged.
Click here for the topic in which I described my progress on my homemade, to explain "I need to return the PC's". My homemade hasn't changed since my last post on that topic.
EDIT: I didn't see Drenchenator's post.

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:04 am

I think I might try to build it like a precharger. as i have never seen any overly large o-rings, is it worth it to use a 1" PC or should I stick with a normal APH? (remembering that I can't buy anything from mcmaster carr)

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:49 am

Stick with a normal design. With 1 inch PVC you won't get anywhere near as much force for the same pressure. It simply would get far worse range. A good design is worth the effort, but you need a lot of force still to do anything.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:28 pm

Technically, building a PCgH using a plastic bag of sorts instead of a piston would be far more practical for obvious reasons--weight, simplicity, less wasted space, price and effort, etc. However, because the useful area of the bag increases as you pump and it gets filled, then there will be a ton of dropoff since a lot of force will be imparted.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:31 pm

Believe me, any bag you make will pop. That's like pushing a plastic bag against a wall. You will need a thicker chamber to do that, and at that point it would be easier to just use the piston that everyone else uses. ;)

CROC

Post by CROC » Sun Sep 10, 2006 4:25 pm

I am saying this on behalf of mr.dude:
I am sticking with a normal large PC APH.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:05 am

I did tell Croc to write that for me, as I was unable to have access to a computer recently, and I am wondering why this topic is starting to die...
Is it a lack of interest, or is it because everything has been discussed?

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:06 am

No more infusion of ideas + discussion having time to be completed = loss of interest. Any new ideas? We've already discussed the problem of a horizontal PC, and the possible solution of a PCgH or a CPH. What are you going to use? Or are you going to see how CROC's CPH Array Gun (my temporary name until he provides one) does?