Greetings

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
sedaterman

Greetings

Post by sedaterman » Wed May 10, 2006 8:54 pm

Greetings and salutations:

I found your forum while searching for information on building a water cannon for my granddaughter and her neighborhood friends. Ages 7-12

I was hoping you guys could help me out. I am an anesthetist and somewhat mechanically inclined, so I think I should be able to handle this type of project.

We just put together a swing set with a tower attachement. I would like to mount a water cannon with a swivel in the tower. Could any of you guys direct me to some plans I might be able to follow ?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give.
SUFFOLK: Because here is a man accused of treason:
Pray God the Duke of York excuse himself!
King Henry VI, part II ,Act II, scene I

sedaterman

Post by sedaterman » Thu May 11, 2006 10:38 pm

Huh... I thought this was the place to be. I guess maybe I thougt wrong.

thanks anyway

Bye
SUFFOLK: Because here is a man accused of treason:
Pray God the Duke of York excuse himself!
King Henry VI, part II ,Act II, scene I

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri May 12, 2006 12:01 am

Things typically are a little slow during the week. I would have made a reply earlier (and thought I had), but I've been busy.

Your best bet for making a swiveling water gun would be to modify an existing design or design your own water gun. Water guns are easy to design, so it shouldn't be too hard to even think of a completely new design. Most existing designs can easily be modified to swivel on a turret or something similar.

To better help you out, we'll need to know a few things about the tower and what you want from the water gun. Can you put a hose in the tower? If you can, the easiest thing to do in that case would be to simply put a hose in the tower. Without a hose or air compressor (which would not be fitting in a tower), you will have to use a pump to generate pressure.

So let us know a little more about what you want and I'm sure that we could help. That's probably why some were reluctant to respond. ;)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sat May 13, 2006 6:34 pm

Welcome to SSC, sedaterman.

As Ben says, if you are just looking to build a stationary soaker, you can use a hose. Just make sure you use a special conical nozzle and a soaker setup instead of a simple hose nozzle, as this could give you some more control while having a superior (in range and lamination) stream.

In addition, make sure the soaker can both swivel and move up and down. Also, you could try cutting a hole for the soaker to go through in clear plastic to prevent others from soaking the gunner; with so little mobility, one would be a perfect target if not for a shield.

If you want something a little more advanced than a hose, I suggest using the hose as well as an automatic compressor. This way, the hose provides quick, immediate pressurization, and with time, the compressor will increase the pressure to something that is slightly more desirable. If this is the case, make sure you have a large pressure chamber.

EDIT: Modifying an existing soaker is a bad idea, as that soaker will no doubt be inefficient at doing a job (stationary soaking) that it isn't meant to do. Even the Monster XL, a sub-par but stationary soaker, sells at high premiums; and no commercial soaker has an effective automatic pumping mechanism.

laboye

Post by laboye » Sat Jun 03, 2006 6:56 am

Again, I'm a little late, but this sounds like an interesting project that I'd be willing to take up. Some simple PVC piping ought to do it. Making one with a trigger would be a little different; again, a project I'd love to try.