Greetings!

General water gun discussion.
Hunt_and_Annoy

Greetings!

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:31 am

I don't know if anyone remembers me, but when I was here before I was called by Hunter or soakerhunter. Some of my stuff may still be floating around on some sites. Anyway, greetings, I have returned with the coming of warm weather.

PS I know there's probably a better place to put this thread, but I wanted to come in with a bang. If Ben is still as strict I figure it'll move itself. :P

Edit: PPS, indeed, I do recognize quite a few of my pics in the gallery xD

SSCBen

Re: Greetings!

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:46 am

Welcome back!

I've lightened up a bit over the past few years, but I do think some people exaggerated how strict I was back a few years ago... I didn't ban too many people or care too much and I got credit too often when someone was banned (there are other people running this site you know). But I understand what you're saying. I was a little vocal when I had a problem so people were uptight. I don't think you'll find the same atmosphere now.

Stick around. We'll be doing some good things this year. ;)

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:53 am

Sweet! I'm liking a lot of the changes, but why all the ads? SSC running into funding problems? Anyway, glad to be back and wondering what I missed. Will start taking more pictures once I can wade out of the pile of gun part in my room. My collection has been deteriorating so much cause I left it outside at the mercy of my siblings in the winter.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:02 am

I can't run SSC out of my pocket any longer. Hosting costs, the domain, all the projects I do, and college have taken their toll.

You can block the ads pretty easily if you don't like them (I have them blocked). In fact, I would prefer that you did because it would actually make me money. That might seem counterintuitive at first, but I'm paid based on some formula that takes click through ratio into account. If you block the ads you should not make an impression and therefore help my ratio.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:08 am

Ah. It would also help if I clicked them about 100 times, no? But how do I block them?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:11 am

If you click 100 times, you will likely get my account banned and I'll lose at least $100 due to how they pay you. Don't do that. If you did, let me know so I can tell Google so they don't ban my account.

What browser do you have? I have Firefox and and I installed Adblock and found a filter set on Google in 5 seconds. That blocks the ads. Alternatively you could switch your skin here to a different one. I should make an ad-free version of this skin. There are other options, but not an ad-free version of this skin.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:18 am

You're starting an SSC store? Interesting. Homemades I take it?

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:40 am

It'll be homemade water guns for the most part. A lot of people don't think they can build and ask me, so I'm finally breaking down and doing it. Depending on how well received this store is I might expand it.

The details on the SSC Store page are pretty much how I'll do it. The only thing that might not happen are repairs because I don't want to be held accountable for something I might not be able to do. Some water guns will be broken beyond repair. The shipping here and back could also be a problem. So I'm debating whether to do the repair service. Everything else should happen though, at least given time.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:44 am

I think wait until the rest is popular, then maybe initiate a repair service.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:41 am

Welcome back, soakerhunter! I wasn't around when you were active, but I have seen your posts. :cool:

I had forgotten about the ads here...I use Adblock Plus too.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:46 am

I believe you were just starting when I left, as your name is vaguely familiar. =)

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:00 am

That would make sense. The Soakerhunter profile says you were last logged in the day before I joined. :)

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:59 am

Hm. Could I get pass for that account if that's possible? I'm not using my email anymore, so I can't retrieve it. Thanks!

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:00 pm

Your IP points to the same place, so I guess you're the same person.

Ben should be able to change the email address of Soakerhunter. I don't think you can change the password directly - the general algorithm converts the password to a hashcode that is matched to the stored hashcode. So multiple passwords could work. And it's difficult to decrypt the hashcode to get an acceptable password.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:19 pm

If you want, I could merge the two accounts. It's a pretty easy procedure. Let me know if you want that. If you don't and just want the old account's password, I'll make a new password and PM it to you so you can change it. SilentGuy is right about how the database stores the password.