super soaker backpack with thunderstorm

Threads about water gun modifications.
sigman75

super soaker backpack with thunderstorm

Post by sigman75 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:16 am

hi y'all

I just purchased a thunderstorm and wanted a backpack for more water.

So I purchased a super soaker bankpack on ebay thinking I could connect it to the removable water clip but it looks like I can't.

Is there a way I can get these things to work?

Or what is the demand like for the back pack. I purchased two for my son and myself.

cantab

Re: super soaker backpack with thunderstorm

Post by cantab » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:09 am

You'd probably have to some cutting and gluing.

The backpacks aren't especially valued, partly since the guns that work with them are mostly average. The 1.5l one, that's like a shoulder bad, is rather too common. The 3l one, that's a true backpack, is less common and better.

Of course, you could get one of the older guns that works with the backpack. But the problem can be that many of those guns have been released in multiple versions, not all of which work with the backpack.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:11 am

The SS thunderstorm uses clips, so there really would be no good way to adapt the backpack. That said, if you got an older gun or one that had a true reservoir, you could connect the backpack tubing to the intake tube of the gun and bypass the small tank.
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Instead of messing with the water gun, can't you just cut the M-I adapter off, connect to some hose barb, and use some couplers/adapters to screw onto the reservoir?
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:53 pm

strato_2r5 wrote:Instead of messing with the water gun, can't you just cut the M-I adapter off, connect to some hose barb, and use some couplers/adapters to screw onto the reservoir?
Hmm, what kind of adapter would you use? Done well this could be a great solution, and I would be excited to see what you do with it.
Quack damn you.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Sun May 01, 2011 9:18 pm

@zeda.beta I think that garden hose couplers would work. I saw soakernerd use one on a 2liter soda bottle in his PVAT soaker. I could also use threaded PVC connectors or endcaps. Do the reservoir openings use standard PVC measurements or do they have their own system of measuring?
Sorry if I'm not active much, busy on another forum and another project non-soaker related.

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Mon May 02, 2011 2:03 am

That required a lot of sanding and teflon tape to get it to seal. It was never tested under pressure, since I couldn't get the valve to seal.
Here's what I would do:
Chop open the clip, and use a barbed tubing connector to hook up the intake tube to another piece of vinyl tubing, which gets connected to a back pack.
Pessimist: These blasters hold no water
Optimist: But their small output means they last just as long
Marketing: Huge blasts of water!
user: I shot it at an angle and it went a whole ten feet!

martianshark

Post by martianshark » Mon May 02, 2011 9:55 pm

That's also what I would do. You can modify it and connect the backpack directly to the reservoir intake. Then throw away the clip.

strato_2r5

Post by strato_2r5 » Tue May 03, 2011 1:21 am

Are you sure you have to do that? I'm planning to backpack mod my XP 310 and I don't want to damage it. It holds so many memories...(I wasn't able to experience the "Golden Age" so it's my most valued one.)

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Tue May 03, 2011 2:34 am

That's what I suggested, but I don't know what this guy really wants with his backpack. Plus the gun he wants to use has clips, (REALLY bad idea for a water gun) so no way is a normal backpack mod gonna work.
Quack damn you.

BlueCharged

Post by BlueCharged » Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:38 am

Hey I've got a thunder storm and i managed to rig a Max Infusion Back Pack on.

Here's how you do it:

1) Take out all the screws on the purple bit of the clip.
2) You're left with an orange bit with two valves and an input for water
3) Pull off the two valves
4) You should have one with a bit of tubing on (it sucks the water up)
5) Take that one and discard the rest apart from the purple bit and it's screws
6) Now cut off the top of it (not the bit that sucks the water up)
7) Get some of the tubing off the bit you cut off and flare it around the bottom of the valve
8) Jam the back pack tubing around the bottom of the valve
9) Lead the tubing out the back of the clip
10) Stick the valve into the top of the purple casing
11) Screw it back together
12) And you've finished

Before

All connected

After
zeda.beta wrote:... Plus the gun he wants to use has clips, (REALLY bad idea for a water gun) so no way is a normal backpack mod gonna work.
:) Not that bad an idea after all...
Last edited by BlueCharged on Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.