Other varieties of triggers

Threads about how water guns work and other miscellaneous water gun technology threads.
NeebsLucas11

Other varieties of triggers

Post by NeebsLucas11 » Thu May 28, 2009 12:38 am

I know that the main way to make triggers is with a ball valve, which i'm planning on using for my gun i'm making.
just wondering though, what other options there are, and if anybody here prefers using something else for a trigger.
Any thoughts are good :)
R.I.P. Mr. Strummer

C-A_99

Re: Other varieties of triggers

Post by C-A_99 » Thu May 28, 2009 2:36 am

For water guns, the ball valve is basically it. You can build pull valves similar to those used in Super Soakers, or you could use a garden hose nozzle, but the pull valves to build are difficult, and garden hose nozzles get horrible ranges. (which they are not designed for, obviously)

The pull valve takes a bit more experience to work with. If you can get seals to work well, you should be able to build a pull valve. Otherwise, I'd recommend sticking to the ball valve, which provides the best performance. (though its the most difficult to make an ergonomic trigger out of)

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu May 28, 2009 4:15 am

Yep, C-A's right. Take a look at our overview of trigger valves and do a search for "pull valve" on the forums. There are at least a few good discussions in there.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu May 28, 2009 11:08 am

Another possibility is a piston valve. A spring loaded piston has a hole in it - when depressed, the hole lines up with the piping. Such a valve would combine the straight flow of the ball valve with faster opening, and self-closing like the pull valve.

Such valves are used in brass instruments, or you would have to make one from scratch.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu May 28, 2009 2:09 pm

I built something like what cantab described two years ago: the topic is here.

The design should work if the center piston is rubber and is well lubricated. My attempt to use a plastic-on-plastic seal leaked and spurted when the gun was fully charged; rubber should seal, eliminating this problem.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.