Disassembling/Repairing the Monster XL???

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
SoakerTom

Disassembling/Repairing the Monster XL???

Post by SoakerTom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:41 pm

Has anyone disassembled the Monster XL? I successfully removed the outer shell but I'm having a lot of trouble with the inside water chamber housing (picture link below). Any suggestions? I've tried prying it open with flathead screwdrivers with no luck. :confused:

The problem is that when I pump it water flows (pretty much a weak stream) out of both nozzles. I've tried pumping it repeatedly but it doesn't improve. I was planning on trying this: http://www.sscentral.org/repairs/nozzle_leaking.html
Last edited by SoakerTom on Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

atvan

Re: Disassembling/Repairing the Monster XL???

Post by atvan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:07 pm

There is probably a screw that you missed somewhere. Also, you could take off the nozzle selectors, the look through to see what is holding it closed. It may be glued.

Something to try- put the gun back together, pull the trigger, and release it by quickly sliding your finger off to the side. The trigger should go forward quickly. Now try to pump.

- If the leak stopped, the spring for the valve is probably just weak with age, and as long as you remember to release the trigger like this, it should work, or you could replace the spring.

- If the leak continues, your spring likely broke, or somehow got disconnected.

Alternatively, there are likely those on the forum that would gladly buy your broken gun for $10 to $20.

SoakerTom

Post by SoakerTom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 4:36 pm

I removed all the screws out of the black plastic, but do the screws on the purple chamber need to be removed as well?

Also, how would you go about removing the nozzle selectors? Pulling on them doesn't seem to work.

atvan

Post by atvan » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:28 pm

They might need to come out. For the nozzle selectors, there should be a screw in the middle of each one- if you remove the screw, the selector should come off.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:46 pm

If you cannot repair it, I will take it for 45 Dollars. I will find a way to use it, as I do have two Monster XL guns too, save in time to have in emergency :)

let me know, the guns are all very old and there are often parts totally broken from age so you would have to replace the half internals to get it work again.

Besides this I managed every gun to work again. I once replaced the pump, both chec valves and the trigger valve... but it works again :D
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

SoakerTom

Post by SoakerTom » Wed Jun 15, 2011 9:31 pm

-G-JiV- wrote:If you cannot repair it, I will take it for 45 Dollars. I will find a way to use it, as I do have two Monster XL guns too, save in time to have in emergency :)

let me know, the guns are all very old and there are often parts totally broken from age so you would have to replace the half internals to get it work again.

Besides this I managed every gun to work again. I once replaced the pump, both chec valves and the trigger valve... but it works again :D
I'm going to try and fix it but if I can't I'll contact you.

The Soaker

Post by The Soaker » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:15 am

i have taken apart ant put back together a MXL. look at the bottom of the housing and you should see 3 screws take those out and it should come apart easaly.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:07 am

GJiV, you're a real sleazy opportunist, haha. That said, I'd take the MXL for $50 and it probably costs less for him to ship it to the U.S. but alas, I'm too busy at the moment to bother. (And if the pull valve is actually broken, which has happened to one of my 4100's, it's going to be excruciatingly tedious to repair.)

Anyways, check the suggestions above, especially for those pesky screws that are easy to miss. Unfortunately, last time I've even seen a MXL was back in '08; I don't own one and never worked with one short of firing a few streams of water so I can't really help in this case.

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Fri Jun 17, 2011 3:14 pm

the 45 Dollars are WITHOUT SHIPPING, my CA ^^ The total costs will be about 100 Dollars for the gun(price + shipping) ^^ Shipping to USA will also cost 20-30 Dollars, for sure, so you will not get it for your 50 Dollars total, as long as I will give him 45 Dollars for the gun+ about 55 Dollars for shipping ^^

Monster XLs can be so tricky to open and even more tricky to repair. I know three gues, who are good at such things but two failed on opening the gun and one failed at repairing it.

My offer is stable, 45 Dollars + shipping for the gun

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:46 pm

Haha, that makes more sense. Still, $45's a tough sell for the MXL.

Looks like they split the MXL up to many, many parts. As with most CPS/Monster blasters, it seems that you'll have to take out the nozzles too. From there, it looks like the casing should split open in half vertically after unscrewing everything. If the screw goes on vertically instead of horizontally, it's likely to be a screw for the purple casing, which you do NOT want to remove until later. (You'll most likely never remove them at all unless there's a problem with the bladder.)

This should help. http://www.isoaker.com/Armoury/Tech/int ... terxl.html

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 pm

a broken monster XL for 45 Dollars is a good offer if you ask me. It is really much work to open the Monster XL and to get it work again is even more work.

Any further progress yet, SoakerTom ?