leaking XXP 275

Repairs to water guns. Please put repair topics in this forum so that people do not have to sort through so many topics when looking for a repair. If a fix is included in the topic, please add (Fixed) before the topic title to indicate so.
Daniel

leaking XXP 275

Post by Daniel » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:39 pm

The problem is whenever i pull the trigger, water starts leaking out where the pump goes in. It doesn't leak when pressurizing only when the trigger is pulled. I dont think it is affecting range but possible output. Also i can't get into the gun because the screws are really tight and when i try it wrecks the top of the screw, does any one have a clue whats wrong?

C-A_99

Re: leaking XXP 275

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:26 pm

Possibly, the leak is coming from the nozzle and flowing to the pump, so it appears to leak from the pump. Perhaps the screw on the nozzle selector(s) are loose and the nozzle selected is not sealing properly to the O-ring. Otherwise, its hard to tell what the problem is.

If you really need to open it and a screw is stuck, a common method is to drill it out. This will obviously cause the whole screw and the place it goes in to become unuseable, unless you have a way to fix it. Just be careful; some screws are more important than others.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:15 pm

C-A99's diagnosis sounds correct.

Your only chance of repair is to open the gun. Rusty screws are a sad fact of water guns. Getting a drill bit the diameter of the screw head and drilling out the screw head is the safer way to remove them. Sometimes that doesn't work though and you have to drill deeper.

I've considered fixing drilled screws by filling in the effected areas with some filler like epoxy putty and then drilling holes and tapping, but none of my screws were that bad.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Drilling screws are a bit tricky and take more time because they're metal, and since you may accidently drill into the plastic, which I've done a few times. Be careful while drilling them.

The first way to fix a drilled screw is to find a way to unscrew the part thats intact, such as with pliers. If that doesn't work or if the intact part of the screw doesn't stick out enough, then perhaps you can go with what Ben said; drill it out, fill it with putty (regular epoxy might work too), and tap it. If you don't have a tap, you may be able to drill a hole the same size as the replacement screw, then replace the drill bit with a screwdriver bit and get the new screw in. (the thread gets more and more loose as you take the screw in and out) If the replacement screw is larger than the old one, you don't need to fill up the screw's hole with anything. Just drill it to the new screw's size and put it in.

But that's only if the screw you busted is essential, like a nozzle selector screw. If its any old screw around the gun thats not terribly important, you can leave it as it is like I do.