One of the worst super soakers ever made: the Splashfire

General water gun discussion.
CplPunishment

One of the worst super soakers ever made: the Splashfire

Post by CplPunishment » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:17 pm

Simply put, this is a terrible water gun. Don't buy one. Just trust me, it is a terrible choice and you will regret having spent money on it when you could have bought something else for about the same price. Do not be fooled by its appearance. It may look just like a mini CPS 1200, and it does, but it doesn't function ANYTHING like the CPS 1200.

First of all, the trigger on this water gun doesn't do anything. It's just there for show; so don't think for one second that it works like the XP or CPS guns. It operates like so: First, fill the tank with clean tap water. Second, pull the pump handle forwards. The movement of the piston will draw water from the tank into the cylinder. Third, point the gun at your target and pull the pump handle back. This will shoot the water out of the gun.

It's not a very good system, especially considering that it requires both hands at all times, the handle does not move smoothly, the grip on the pump handle is too slippery, it makes tons of noise when you pump and after every single shot you have to reload (annoying!).

I would not recommend this gun to anybody for anything because anybody strong enough to pump this gun should be carrying a bigger gun, therefore rendering it useless. Anyone buying it for it's light weight will struggle with the pumping action on this gun. If this gun is given to you for free, take it because it is better than nothing, but if they charge more than 4 dollars for it, don’t buy it.

The only guns this weapon has a good chance of beating are water pistols or broken guns. You must be wary of some water pistols though, because there are some good ones out there, and pistols can just keep shooting without having to pump (unlike you!). While you are struggling to reload, a soldier with a pistol could just rush you and you’d be screwed…maybe not soaked, but screwed nonetheless.

More recent Super Soakers that use the same basic system to propel water out of the gun are much better. I just recently used an Aquashock Helix and Aquashock Sneak Attack, both of which have a much smoother pumping action (definitely a plus).

The only thing I would recommend this gun for is training. This Three people with guns like this versus a person with a hose is great for hit and run practice, and strengthening your pumping arm.

But, whatever you do, don't use it as a main weapon.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:13 am

You can tell just by looking at it (no trigger, tiny "PC", etc.) that it's something quick and cheap they made, though I'm not sure exactly why they did. But the fact that it performs along the low end of piston guns (as you're saying) is rather odd. Oh well, never got one nor tried one.

CplPunishment

Post by CplPunishment » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:45 am

Actually it does have a trigger, it just doesn't do anything. I was stupid and didn't read the box or inspect the gun very well, and I assumed that because of the trigger it would function like other guns with Pressure Chambers. (there's another lesson for new water gun buyers: Make sure that you know the mechanics of the gun well, before buying it!) It just goes to show that Super Soakers are going downhill fast. It's been years since I've seen a new gun that makes me go "Wow, that looks like a great gun. I've got to buy one of those." That may just be due to me growing up in the XP and CPS eras. But, I digress. I'm sure that everyone in this forum has heard something to this effect thousands of times before.

Mike 19

splashfire

Post by Mike 19 » Sun Sep 23, 2007 12:00 am

CplPunishment wrote:Simply put, this is a terrible water gun. Don't buy one. Just trust me, it is a terrible choice and you will regret having spent money on it when you could have bought something else for about the same price. Do not be fooled by its appearance. It may look just like a mini CPS 1200, and it does, but it doesn't function ANYTHING like the CPS 1200.

First of all, the trigger on this water gun doesn't do anything. It's just there for show; so don't think for one second that it works like the XP or CPS guns. It operates like so: First, fill the tank with clean tap water. Second, pull the pump handle forwards. The movement of the piston will draw water from the tank into the cylinder. Third, point the gun at your target and pull the pump handle back. This will shoot the water out of the gun.

It's not a very good system, especially considering that it requires both hands at all times, the handle does not move smoothly, the grip on the pump handle is too slippery, it makes tons of noise when you pump and after every single shot you have to reload (annoying!).

I would not recommend this gun to anybody for anything because anybody strong enough to pump this gun should be carrying a bigger gun, therefore rendering it useless. Anyone buying it for it's light weight will struggle with the pumping action on this gun. If this gun is given to you for free, take it because it is better than nothing, but if they charge more than 4 dollars for it, don’t buy it.

The only guns this weapon has a good chance of beating are water pistols or broken guns. You must be wary of some water pistols though, because there are some good ones out there, and pistols can just keep shooting without having to pump (unlike you!). While you are struggling to reload, a soldier with a pistol could just rush you and you’d be screwed…maybe not soaked, but screwed nonetheless.

More recent Super Soakers that use the same basic system to propel water out of the gun are much better. I just recently used an Aquashock Helix and Aquashock Sneak Attack, both of which have a much smoother pumping action (definitely a plus).

The only thing I would recommend this gun for is training. This Three people with guns like this versus a person with a hose is great for hit and run practice, and strengthening your pumping arm.

But, whatever you do, don't use it as a main weapon.
I took that gun down to the ground once w/ my Xp 310.