Thunderwars Rules Video

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Authundir

Thunderwars Rules Video

Post by Authundir » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:20 pm

Through the years MarsGlorious has been gallantly trudging his way through various editions of the thunderwars rulebook.
Having seen the current edition as it is now, I have decided to convert the tome into a movie.
You see in the past no-one could actually be bothered reading Mars' creations, even today we dont quite know what he is going on about half of the time.

Therefore I would like the opinion of those here at sscentral, as well as information from those of you who have made soaker films before. (what works and what doesn't)

My hopes for this film is that it will really help thunderwars take off. Gone will be the days of the pathetic excuse "I'll just wait until the movie comes out."
Who knows I might even post the video in this thread when I finish it.

Authundir :)
Last edited by Authundir on Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

-Sic narro pugna doctrina.

Silence

Re: Thunderwars Rules Video

Post by Silence » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:55 pm

I know Duxburian has produced several videos about water guns. They do offer a much more unique experience than a single article could. Also check out the SSC videos section.

Still, I don't think anybody's done a documentary-style video like what you're thinking about. Make sure you have footage of an actual Thunder War, a battlefield, or at least a few diagrams though - something to justify a video.

I honestly am not a video fanatic, but I'm waiting to see what you make. Good luck! :)

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:06 am

Thats a great idea. Would it be possible for each team to submit footage of a war from their perspective.

We can discuss this more on thursday.

DX

Post by DX » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:50 am

You should definitely go for it. Videos are fun and really bring the subject alive. Unfortunately neither the RM nor WB ever filmed a live war. We had a million opportunities and never got it done. We had some extremely intense wars that deserved film action.

Our problem was that neither team was willing to sacrifice a man to film, simple as that :p Of course, you might say that an outsider could have done it. However, you need someone who knows what's going on in order to come out with quality footage. They should be familiar with who is who, the tactics commonly used, and especially they need to be able to follow all the action with the last camera-shaking possible. There's nothing worse than shaky footage.

As far back as 2004, I had a plan to film all of our battlefields and even demonstrations of how to do execute various tactics. None of that happened. There's still a chance of throwing a war together this Summer, so you never know.

Get out there and do it!
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:06 am

Here is a quick Update, I have made some phone calls and MarsGlorious can't be bothered helping at the moment. but I should be able to convince him otherwise
I have just storyboarded the opening sequence, it is looking really good. (might take a while though!)

Storm, I think that your idea is genius.
I hadn't actually planned on filming a war but it would make a good conclusion to a good film, and from both sides, it could just work.
:D
Ut permaneo campana sanus, Permissium obscurum perussi vestri animus. Totus palma ut Atrum Apostelus.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm

Interesting.
I too had been planning to make an advertising video for my team this year.

I'm going to use my camera to record each of the Maple-Mountain-Marine's combat training exercises this year.

Over next winter, I'll go to work with all that material, as well as some footage about homemade designing and construction, to create a video that I can use for recruiting.

From my experience with possible recruits, most people are hard to interest in Water-Wars, until they play it or watch it being played. After that, they most often become really excited about water-warfare and want to join up.

I own a Video IPod, so I can keep the movie on that and show it to people wherever I go.
Captain-Canis: Founder of the Maple-Mountain-Marines.
Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:46 am

Finishing up a rules video with footage of a war could be cool. Or if you get into it, you could just post a series of videos like Duxburian considered.

WaterWolf, would your recruitment video capture people following a transcript of events to suit the camera? Or would you just be recording ad-hoc?

I've never really had a hardcore water gun fight, so it would be interesting to see one in action.

WaterWolf

Post by WaterWolf » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:32 pm

My idea is to get a large amount of footage from real combat, which will better capture the feel of the game.

I then plan to pick out the best scenes and use them in the recruiting advertisement.
Captain-Canis: Founder of the Maple-Mountain-Marines.
Terrifying, but oddly refreshing.
-B.D.

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:29 pm

To keep with the feel of recklessness in our video we have decided to film a real war from both sides of the conflict, all the instruction scenes will be staged and a narration will take place over the entire video. (except the war at the end)
The location of our film will greatly depend on how much MarsGlorious of his time is willing to sacrifice but will be either his place or in timbermine
In the end the editing will be done on my version of Sony Vegas pro (anyone interested in film editing should GET THIS NOW!!!)

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:14 am

Ok. Let's get things straight. I like the idea of making a Thunderwars Rulebook video, but the Rulebook hasn't been finished. Certain concepts that went into Rulebook are even now proving to not work in battle. A Rulebook video would be great, but can we please wait until we have a finished Rulebook and the rules aren't changing anymore.

If you do want video, make a battle video. :cool:
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:29 pm

I think that Mars is right about this one.
However i must also state that Mars is taking far too long on the rulebook.
I think that the purpose of making the video would be to inspire mars to finish the rules

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:36 pm

Yes,
mars you really need to get a move on with the rulebook (book is really a bit of an overstatment, some better words Could be... rulepamphlet?... rulebrochure?)
it has taken nearly Two years to wright a couple of paragraphs of text.

anyway it turns out that the camera is absolutely stuffed, so anything will have to be postponed until I get a new one.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:38 pm

That's a little unreasonable Althundir. I have to do everything else as well. But I do like your idea.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

StormGlorious

Post by StormGlorious » Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:47 pm

I don't think it was meant in that way Mars.
Authundir, what is wrong with the camera, you had it for like a year.

Authundir

Post by Authundir » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:07 pm

Actually I have had it for something more like 3-4 years (at least 2)
anyway it was dropped by a certain sibling of mine and needed a new tape housing and the lens was smashed, we had it sent off to be reapaired and we decided it wasn't worth the expenses.
on the lighter side I got a new one, it's a complete beast. 40x optical zoom, ccd lens, lcd constant matrix diplay(No I dont know what that means either but it sounds really cool!!!)
and two top it all off a 40 gig hard drive, no more rewinding tapes, yay!!! :D

Mars I would really appreciate it if you could email me the ruleleaflet to me so that I can start to script and storyboard The Entire Thing, i want to start production as soon as possible. :)