WBL-Style Water Cannon

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
mr. dude

WBL-Style Water Cannon

Post by mr. dude » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:11 pm

I was thinking of a new type of homemades, but didn't quite get there. Instead, I came up with two very similar water cannons.
If I manage to build one, it will be mounted on a tripod (homemade, not stock camera holder). This will allow me to use it as a base defence weapon. It will have a similar setup to a WBL, except that it will have an endcap nozzle. I might reduce it to 1" before adding the endcap, which means the endcap will also be 1", this is purely for a more laminated flow (am I right about that?).
Also, there will be a reservoir connected to a ball valve, which is connected to the barrel. When I want to refill, I'll flip the ball valve, and water will enter the barrel.
Also, I might make the trigger snap shut with a string.
The second design is exactly the same, except for the PC, which will be huge, and have more than one shrader valve, so that two or more people can operate it.
How's the idea, it's not mine, I know that for sure, because many people put water in their WBLs, but this would be a water cannon.
Is it true that doing that is dangerous? I think it was wetmonkey that had a bad experience with water in a WBL.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:15 pm

I've seen metal cannons blast apart with water in the barrel - no joke.

It wasn't anything more than a joint blasting apart, but as the fitting was capable of resisting more than 300 psi with ease, it makes you wonder.

Don't ask how a 300 psi joint blew from 100 psi air. The water seriously has a major effect on how it works.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

mr. dude

Post by mr. dude » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:19 pm

Wouldn't the problem with that be the connection, or was it welded? I guess if I do build it, I'd have to put it in a case or something so it doesn't explode into my gut.
Would the stream produced be really harmful? If so please lock this topic.
Last edited by mr. dude on Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:59 pm

According to Duxburian, the rush of air hitting the water creates a massive impulse force. Sounds exactly like the water hammer effect that makes PVC dangerous for motorized, industrial pump systems.

This thread doesn't need to be locked. Just a question and information. ;)

CROC

Post by CROC » Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:27 pm

mr. dude, I would recommend that if you make it for up to 2 persons, that you have pressure gauges so that the operators can tell when to stop. You could use a strong spring or two to keep the valve shut, unless pulled on, then it snaps back in to place, like a Max-D trigger. The only way that a stream of water would be harmful would be if it had a huge output, or part of the gun flew off with the water.
I have several ideas for a tripod (not really a tripod, more of a 4 legged stand that is sturdy) All you have to do is ask.
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back

DX

Post by DX » Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:03 pm

The stream itself is not harmful [except a point-blank eye shot of course], but the effects of shooting water from a barrel are. The pressure really doesn't matter much - it only takes about 30 PSI to sever a very-well glued connection if there is a lot of water loaded. In a water balloon launcher design, it is not safe to shoot water from the barrel, but is safe to shoot it from the pc. Of course it won't work in the pc without a piston, hence the use of U and C shaped pcs in the absence of one, and hence water cannons.

If you are using a tripod, you should design it to be light and transported easily, so the gun could be deployed rapidly at any defensive position, not just the one base. Also, while I have never said it before, I'll say it now: the best base defence is offense.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

CROC

Post by CROC » Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:57 pm

I was considering this for a tripod:
For where the gun mounts, you want to be able to move it freely, so you use some quick attaching hose joints
Make your tripod out of PVC, then use a male adapter to make it connect. Make your tripod around this.
Sorry, doesn't show picture, you have to follow the link
-Croc
It's been a while guys, and its good to be back