What can you do?

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Jan 04, 2005 6:34 am

The tsunami's in asia could be the biggest tragedy in our life time. I have donated 60 dollars. If you can find a way to help out as well, please do so. This is a world relief effort. Please be a part of it.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:03 am

I spent most of my money on parts to buy a new homemade a few days earlier... go figure. :p h34r:

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:05 pm

I will help, that is where my old teacher is from, and was on my newspaper.
Soak, or be soaked that is the question!

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:46 pm

One of my friends could easily have been in Sri Lanka at the time as he is a member of the Sri Lankan Royal family and visits there a lot (most holidays... I will find out on thursday when I go back to school.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:08 pm

I think I heard they have a billion dollars or something. I'm probably wrong because I don't think they could get that much in only a week.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:19 pm

I think it's close to 2 billion now.

Edit: 3 billion +

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:56 pm

Thats a lot of money! I don't believe it was so big it effected the earths rotation. btw what other countries did it hit, I know it hit Sri lanka, and some island. :(

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:01 pm

Watch TV. Basically every country around the Bay of Bengal. The size of an earthquake that can alters the earths rotation needs to be magnitude of 9 I think. If it did change the axis or whatever, then we'd be having freak weather patterns. Hmmm... XPBackfire-esque load of snow and rain in the west. Inch of ice on the east coast. Coincidental?

Edit:
Can an earthquake really affect the way the planet spins on its axis?

Yep. As you'll recall from science class, the rotating Earth resembles a spinning top: The planet's axis does not always point in exactly the same direction but wobbles very slightly, describing small but measurable circles at the poles. A very large earthquake—one of a magnitude of 9.0 or greater—can shift enough mass relative to that of the entire Earth to alter, very minutely, the course of that wobble. But the planet's speed of rotation (which, of course, determines the lengths of our days) remains unchanged, so we don't need to worry about adjusting our watches.

In this case, the 9.0-magnitude shock was a "megathrust" quake, which occurs where one tectonic plate is forced beneath another. Initial U.S. Geological Survey data from the quake and its dozens of powerful aftershocks indicate that some 740 miles of the boundary between the India plate and the Burma plate slipped an average of 15 meters and that the sea floor thrust up several meters. It is difficult to determine the total mass of the crust that shifted because the movement was irregular, but when so much of the Earth moves so far, the wobble of its axis will jog slightly, too.

Godzillasoaker65

Post by Godzillasoaker65 » Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:27 am

It moved an island at least 60 feet! :o Also it covered up a lot of Sri lanka.(might not of been Sri lanka though)

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Sat Jan 08, 2005 4:09 am

Yeah. It did a lot of stuff. More than we can comprehend. In fact, on one of the islands near the epiecenter, the wave was 40 feet high. I can't even imagine a wave that high.

Soaker Leader

Post by Soaker Leader » Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:35 pm

I have donated 40 riyals(equavlance in USD is a little more then 10 dollars). My family donated a whole buttload of cloths (like over 5 big bags of cloths) to the Tsunami disatser, and I gave 3 of my favourite huge really , really soft grey blankets. My mom donated a few pillows and sheets and stuff to sleep on. Sadly last time there was a diaster over 1 billion dollars were donated only 17.7 million got there. We had a Tsunami presentation from a kids dad in our class. He worked as a person to find oil and look for earthquakes and junk. He showed us some of the videos of the wave , and guess what, he told us a little over 70 earthquakes went off once the first earthquake went off. took maybe 30 - 45 minutes for all of them to stop. He told us something I never knew before, That the magma of the outer core of the Earth is rotating, and since it is rotating it is creating a magnetic field to protected the earth from radiation from the sun. Like in the movie The Core. Well thats all I got to say, And well over 150 characters to Hey, that's funny..

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:55 pm

It moved an island at least 60 feet!
Actually that was 120 feet.

Oh my royal Sri Lankan friend is O.K. but 6 of his family are dead, and 4 injured.
Sadly last time there was a diaster over 1 billion dollars were donated only 17.7 million got there
Sadly true, governments collect the money and then after the disater gets off the front pages, they decide it could be used better. So this time round a few countries (started by britain) give what they get as soon as they get it, no saving it up, they get a pound they send it next day. (America hasn't so no-one knows if your cash will get there or go to the government).

Oh, and did you know, if everyone in China jumped at the same time, the Earth would be knocked off its orbit and sent spinning off into space...Freaky!
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:06 pm

Oh, and did you know, if everyone in China jumped at the same time, the Earth would be knocked off its orbit and sent spinning off into space...Freaky!
I don't know the truth to that. I've heard it as well, but I highly doubt it. Even if a huge asteroid were to hit the earth, the rotation would be changed, but the orbit would stay basically the same. If a huge asteroid could barely do anything to our Orbit, I doubt everyone in China could move the earth, just be simply jumping up in the air all at once.
(America hasn't so no-one knows if your cash will get there or go to the government).
Actually, the US government is telling Americans to donate to companies and foundations such as the Red Cross. That way, the government can keep track of the money they're sending over to south east asia. They learned their lesson after all of the donations came in after 9/11.

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:21 pm

Well they didn't sign up to the international agreement about that, and the China thing is true, it was proved by a load of bored students I think. You would be surprised at the amount of peole in China.