Attack plan, watersniping from 3rd floor

General water gun discussion.
Dr. Sniper

Attack plan, watersniping from 3rd floor

Post by Dr. Sniper » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:35 pm

Qapla', warriors of the wet wars,

I am happy to find this community, because I am preparing an assault.

Let me put it like this: I love my unwashed neighbour and will offer him some water :D

I live on the 3rd floor, the target is on the ground and moving, about 30 to 45 degrees downwards, about 30-40 feet distance... I will stay in ambush behind my window - a perfect firing position.

Do you recommend a special long range weapon? I will not need a big tank, one or two shots will be enough...

C-A_99

Re: Attack plan, watersniping from 3rd floor

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:13 pm

As far as traditional water blasters go, a CPS 2500 or other blasters with similar range should do the job. However, if you ever need more range and have the resources, try building a water cannon or water balloon launcher. That's for true water warfare sniping but unfortunately, is costly and time consuming.

Exactly what soakers do you have available? (that you have or can buy without much trouble)

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:02 am

Welcome to SSC!

By the way, don't expect huge range improvements from being high. As the stream travels it accelerates vertically down due to gravity, and decelerates horizontally due to drag. The drag will eventually reduce the horizontal velocity to zero, leaving the water dropping straight down. So there will be a maximum range, and corresponding height (at which point max range is actually a LEVEL firing, not an angled one). I'd guess somewhere between 5th and 10th floor mind.

The big advantage in being high is simply that it's easier to shoot your opponent than for them to shoot you. OTOH, the greater time the shot spends in the air makes it more dodgeable. In my experience even on level ground, shots at the limit of range can be dodged most of the time.

Of course dual wielding makes it harder for the enemy to dodge.
Last edited by SSCBen on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:13 am

Just about any water gun currently available should work for this. This page details the best of what's available today: http://www.sscentral.org/faq/2008-water-guns.html

If you want something more powerful, check out our reviews and decide what you want. Any of the CPS series would be desirable, especially the CPS 2000 for range. The problem with those water guns is that they're hard to come by and they're expensive on eBay and here. You also can build your own--check out the homemade section here for how to. That'll give you more range than anything else at a cheaper price.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jun 17, 2008 3:28 pm

By the way, don't expect huge range improvements from being high.
But the range will still be better than before. The stream doesn't know where the ground is and will continue past the ground-level range.

He's also right that it's gonna just start raining at one point; the stream is only accelerating downwards from gravity--no force will counteract the drag force horizontally, so it will slow down until it's velocity is zero, at which point there is no drag force in that direction.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:17 pm

The stream will break apart long before it stops moving horizontally - and that's also the reason the stream experience so much drag. If you're talking about ranges at which the stream stops moving forward, the "stream" will probably be nonexistent anyway.

And since I haven't said this yet, welcome to the forums, Dr. Sniper! :)

cantab

Post by cantab » Sat Sep 20, 2008 10:57 pm

Apologies for posting in such an old topic. Yesterday I got the chance to fire my cps 2100 (and anything else if I'd wanted to) from the 2nd floor (UK numbering, which goes ground, first, second). I haven't actually measured the range, but it is substantially further than on the ground. I guess I was too pessimistic before.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier: