U.W.F.F.I. needs your help!

General water gun discussion.
Fox

Post by Fox » Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:29 pm

Today marks the first official unofficial Ultimate Water Fight game. :D Everything worked out perfectly, except for one thing: the tags. For those who haven't read the UWF rulebook (shame on you), a tag is basically a cheap substitute for a soakertag -- a piece of toilet paper stuck on by clear tape in one of four "vital" areas. At first, when everyone was dry, the tags served their purpose, but after the players were drenched from head to toe, the tape just wouldn't stuck. Kind of a "duh" on my part. :(

We would use soakertags, but one of the main factors of the U.W.FA.FA.I. is having cheap water fights. Using an endless supply of soakertags might even make this more expensive than paintball. For the next major rule release (soon), we need a better kind of tag. I've read many of the soakertag-related topics here, but a good substitute hasn't presented itself yet.

Toilet paper may well be the best material available, which is fine. The tags didn't get soaked to the point of disintegration (which determines a kill) even on the wettest players, but the tape just wouldn't stick.

So, after that big rant... Does anybody have any idea for a better method of sticking? Safety pins might be an option, because the jerseys are worn over the players actual clothes, preventing them from destroying their good clothes or accidentally stabbing themselves. :blink: Still, I want to look at all the options out there.

Whew. Long post. Anyway, I need all the help I can get! :D

(For the record, I posted this on both SSCentral and my own forums, just to be extra thorough.)
[img]http://www.geocities.com/sinfoxdreamcore/bnr.jpg' border='0' alt='Picture of a Super
Soaker' />
U.W.F.F.I.

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:00 am

The Ridgewood Militia [my team] and our rival team Waterbridge used to use shirts to denote lives. Whenever someone was hit, they changed shirts. That system was unpopular though, so now we simply use the honor system. We define a hit/kill as a fist-sized mark on the shirt, and surprisingly it has worked better than when we changed shirts.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jun 21, 2005 2:12 am

If you fold a piece of toilet paper a few times so that it is 3 or more sheets thick, you can then attach it to a piece of cardboard or paper that you can then attach to your shirt or body. The cardboard or paper can be attached using tape or a pin, preferably two pins (one at the top and one at the bottom).
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Viscen Django

Post by Viscen Django » Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:19 pm

Maybe you could stick with your original tags, except dry the area before applying?

Alternately, you could use duct tape instead of clear tape, but that would kind of hurt...

-\\-Hraesvelgr-//- Sivayth Prioritus

Fox

Post by Fox » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:29 am

Duct tape might just work... What do you all think about clothespins? The thought just occurred to me today.

Now I just need to go out and buy some for a test. ^_^
[img]http://www.geocities.com/sinfoxdreamcore/bnr.jpg' border='0' alt='Picture of a Super
Soaker' />
U.W.F.F.I.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:40 pm

Using soakertags isn't too hard or expensive. They are $0.25 at Wal-Mart, and one pack can easily supply one person through a game or two (I have tried this). The main problem is that it is extremely hard to hit the tags, especially at long ranges. Also, to make the game playable, you have to have at least four tags (front, back, right side, left side) to make it possible to hit people when they are not facing you. Otherwise, there is no way to shoot people when they are covering their tag with their gun, retreating, or whatever. Soakertags are not nearly as expensive as paintballs (paintballs tend to be $30+ in most skirmishes).

Master Yogurt

Post by Master Yogurt » Thu Jul 14, 2005 2:38 am

Well, you could always go with the "When the paper falls off, you're out" rule. Turn a blunder into something that looks like it was done on purpose.
My Armory
<span style='color :p urple'>
4 XP-210s
Secret Strike with drilled nozzle and increased range
XP 310 with shotgun nozzle and fan nozzle
Storm something-or-other pistol
Old "Power Soaker" - hey, it's made by Larami!

I miss my XP 75 classic... I don't miss my XP 85.

Need DOS help or looking for games? Dosgames.com is a great resource, and its forums are excellent, and, hey, I've been a mod there for years!

stealth

Post by stealth » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:14 pm

How about velcro? The hook part .. and use fluffy tissue paper.. and just change everytime you get hit by tearing it off..

you keep the velcro on the shirt all the time and just change the TP

velcro works when wet too!

cdingman

Post by cdingman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 10:14 pm

How about using alka-seltzer tablets?

You can either attach them to a piece of paper or cardboard wrapped around the arm or put them on a string and wear them around the neck. When it falls off, your out!

:)

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:58 pm

@ cdingman: This topic is a year old, and Fox's public profile shows that he hasn't visited in over a year. Even the link to his site doesn't work.

That said, it's nice to see contribution to SSC. Also, alka-seltzer tablets might also come with a slightly excessive price, though I'm not sure.