The Beast

Homemade water gun threads that are notable.
SSCBen

The Beast

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:11 pm

Today I finally finished a real CPS homemade. Based upon my APH design and improved, it is fairly powerful and I'm glad I made it. Not because it is fairly powerful though, the APH is much more powerful and I'd rather use that if I wanted power. What is important is that it was the first one, and I noticed some problems with it.

First off, I used leftover parts so it's internal diamter was 1/2" instead of 3/4" or even 1". That wasn't much of a problem on any nozzles except for riot blast though, normal CPS guns have a smaller internal diameter still. Range is something like 48-54, I did a few tests with the stride method, nothing too accurate. No straws were in the nozzles.

The real thing of importance in this homemade is what it didn't become. The gun I designed to have a PC about twice as thick as it is not Collosused. I used some larger CPS tubing to Collosus it, and after about 4 pumps all that did was pop off the tubing barbs. I found the PC and clamp around 20 feet behind the gun each time. I could feel the power in the pumping, it was good, but obviously the system couldn't handle it. In the future, other than making the gun have a larger ID (with larger tubing and better Collosusing methods), is to attach the center CPS tube better. I am not sure how that would be done, I think we may have to use larger barbs and protect the tubing a bit so the clamp could be put on tighter.

Instead of doing my original idea, I put 3 or 4 layers of bike tubes over the PC. It's not exactly even and I'm thinking of taking them off. I will be experimenting with the PC systems, maybe I'll find a solution to my original problem.

http://www.sscentral.net/images/cps/DSCN0220.JPG
Last edited by Drenchenator on Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 15, 2004 2:11 pm

No comments? I thought this would be a popular thread.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:06 pm

Sounds good. What kind of output are you getting?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:09 pm

Wow it sounds cool, do you think in the future you'll be able to build a better one that will go farther then the APH?
Storm

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:18 pm

Doom, I don't know how much you know about plumbing and such, but there is something you are missing. A barb can never hold tubing. It is ment as a stable place to attach a hose clamp. A hose clamp, for those who don't know is a ring that you put around the places of attachment for tubing. It is tightened with a flathead screwdriver. Once on, almost nothing can pull it off. I use it on all my barbs, even gravity flow.

Hose clamps usually sell for about $0.60 and come in all tube sizes up to like 4 inch.
--------------------------------------------------------------
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:25 pm

Smudge, I said I used them. :huh:

It seriously was more powerful than you think. It burst off the tubing barbs even with the clamps on so tight it was cutting into the tubing almost. Believe me, I know what I'm doing. The CPS tubing wouldn't even stay on without clamps.

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Thu Jul 15, 2004 4:41 pm

Originally posted by Doom@Jul 14 2004, 01:11 PM

The real thing of importance in this homemade is what it didn't become. The gun I designed to have a PC about twice as thick as it is not Collosused. I used some larger CPS tubing to Collosus it, and after about 4 pumps all that did was pop off the tubing barbs. I found the PC and clamp around 20 feet behind the gun each time. I could feel the power in the pumping, it was good, but obviously the system couldn't handle it. In the future, other than making the gun have a larger ID (with larger tubing and better Collosusing methods), is to attach the center CPS tube better. I am not sure how that would be done, I think we may have to use larger barbs and protect the tubing a bit so the clamp could be put on tighter.
Sorry, emediatly it just says the tubing poped off the barbs. Later on it says the clamps where found a ways away. It didn't say hose clamps, and I didn't understand it. Passing right by it the first time. And then also at the bottom of that paragraph. I read it too fast.

I thought I was helping. <_<

My cps gun holds together nicely. I used two hose clamps on each end, but ti shouldn't make much of a difference. I doubt it is as thick of a PC as yours.

Maybe you should try a restraint, like a clear bottle or something so that the PC can only expand width wise. I sorta did this on mine, however it was a completely different design where both ends were conected to something. I don't know if this will help at all, since if it is powerful enough, it will find away out.

I think a smaller barb might work better?
EDIT: is there something on the end of that so the PC can't expand lengthwise? Maybe all im saying is pure trash. I know so little about CPS, and even less about cylidrical CPS.
BlueSoak.net

blaze

Post by blaze » Thu Jul 15, 2004 6:24 pm

I doubt that I'll ever make a cps homemade. They're just too dang complicated. An air pressure gun has more potential then a cps, and is much easier to make. The only cps homemade I MAY make is a kind of Splashzooka 150oz. But other than that, I have been discouraged even more. Thank you though, I didn't want to waste my money on something that wouldve been even worse.

I still say to get a cap at the end of that PC like BS said.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:18 pm

Ok, now I've got it working. It's PC still is questionable, I should have got larger ID tubing to Collosus it with. I had to hold the strips together with electrical tape to get it working. I pumped it 15-20 times and then range tested. No wind, no straws, no glycerin, no bull. The nozzle was 3/16" because it was the only 1/2" nozzle I had other than 5/64".

Range was 58 feet to the last large puddle. 63 feet 6 inches to the last drop. This is just amazing, with some more Collosusing it could shoot over 60 all the time! And then if I get a better nozzle, straws and glycerin it's could go over 70! I am very pleased with the results, just sad that my gun's PC doesn't hold together as well as I hoped. If I used one slightly larger ID strip I wouldn't have any problems with the PC.

I now plan to use this gun as a test again when I buy more CPS tubing. I am going to add not another layer to the center one, but a third. I'm hoping that'll make it buck like a shotgun. I also plan on making a gun with a larger ID, 3/4" should work well.

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:25 pm

Wow, that would be one Hasbro HQ of a good sniper gun. How much did that cost you about?
Storm

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:34 pm

It was leftover parts. I'd guess $30-$40. Much better than a CPS 2000. :Hey, that's funny.:

Storm

Post by Storm » Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:37 pm

Are you going to be putting this under homemades section on the site later? Also will you include pictures?
Storm

BlueSmudge

Post by BlueSmudge » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:01 pm

Its basically already on the site. Just put CPS tubing in place of the air pressure PC's.
BlueSoak.net

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:14 pm

I designed it a bit differently too. Look at the pic if you have no patience.

I probably will put this on the homemades section, but I do plan on making a better version and that article will be updated.

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:45 pm

Um...could you make an estimate in Xx? Are we talking about 20x streams here?
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.