Why are there multiple super soaker sites

Discussion of other water gun websites.
MarsGlorious

Why are there multiple super soaker sites

Post by MarsGlorious » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:45 pm

Now I understand that people have websites for their own group and some sites specialize in different things. However, hearing about iSoaker scaling back made me realize something. There are quite a few websites that offer similar contents to SSC (although I haven't noticed anything as complete as SSC) and in some cases offer information almost identical to SSC in some ways. Personally, I don't see the point. This system only serves to fragment the community and create websites that compete against each other.

Considering the Super Soaker Central appears to be the largest, why can't it live up to it's name and have all/if not most of the sites merge under one roof.

For one, having multiple water wars forums is counter productive (unless they are private), as members must make multiple accounts on separate sites to be completely involved
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

SSCBen

Re: Why are there multiple super soaker sites

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:26 am

You should investigate the reasons behind iSoaker.net scaling back. ;)

The community is merging at WaterWarfare.com. I plan to close the SSC forums to new posts some time this year to help the transition, but WWc is not yet ready.

MarsGlorious

Post by MarsGlorious » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:19 am

Oh!

So it actually is happening. That's good to hear.
"Wherever there's a dark age, there are Dark Apostles." - Storm

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:29 pm

I run my own site because there's always specifics to one person or group's water warfare that can't really fit elsewhere. After all, you wouldn't ask to have your local rules and what not posted on a site section here nor at iSoaker, and a personal site also allows for all your own war stories, reviews, etc. in one place. It makes it easier to channel information together if you're, say, "recruiting".

That said, while a personal water war website may be a good idea, I think personal forums are not in general. Nearly all discussion fits into the big three (WWc, SSC, iSn), though only SSC is fully running right now. Seperating discussions or having parallel threads doesn't work so well but can easily happen with having other forums. The main issue is that the community is too small in general.

There's an exception however. If your team or group is active and often discusses water warfare seperate from the main community, that's when the personal forum does good. Seeing long team chats and discussions between local warring groups on here or on iSn could be awkward in some cases.

That's just my thoughts on seperate, other forums. The point is, only start one if your team members actually want to discuss and will do so.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:52 pm

Well, MarsGlorious does have several other discussing members of the Thunderwars Union. They had their own forum in SSC for a while of last year.

Lewis' RM probably could have made their own forums. That's an example.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:55 pm

Waterbridge also had a forum. (requiring registration to view) What I mean is that they don't really work when there's nothing to discuss amongst a group and only become branched-off or parallel discussions from one of the main forums, in particular partly because the community is small.

JuchTurtles

Post by JuchTurtles » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

Ya, you've got to be able to discuss some different things, like planning the next war. I guess you could post the new game-type or whatever, but that could be posted on main forums, too.
The name's Juch, just Juch.
Also known as Commander JuchJawsTurtles, commander of the C0BALT TiDE team in The Ocean Volcano Union.
SPLASH! You're dead!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:40 am

I was thinking more along the lines of team organization, group tactics, whatever in addition to war planning. And also that not everyone wants to post their discoveries to the entirety of the water warring community and not to mention, any rival teams. I don't think that happens very much now since a lot of veteran well-organized teams and groups have broken up or what not. I myself don't organize things like that; we take water warfare quite casually compared to many others, and I guess it's going to stay that way unless someone I know wants to "recruit" and start a pair of teams.

trekkie00

Post by trekkie00 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 8:23 pm

While unity is good in general, might it be a good idea to keep another site running?

Not many new members would probably know, but I'm sure Ben and whoever runs iSoaker.net remember Water Warfare Network - I think that was the name, anyway. Suddenly went down three or four years ago, without any warning. Fortunately SS Central and iSoaker existed and the community continued through them and others.

However, if something unforseen happened to this new site, and no other forums exist....

Being unified is good, but remember not to keep all your eggs in one basket.
Rereading these forums make me feel old >.<

zeda.beta

Post by zeda.beta » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Can we put a poll up, so that everybody who wants to close the forums and only use WWc can say so, and that the rest of us can vote to keep these forums open in case we need specific questions? If so, then everybody who wants to can show what they want.

-Zeda
I reject your reality and substitute my own.
Quack damn you.