Super Duper Watergun...im getting crazy..who knows one?

General water gun discussion.
kulu

Super Duper Watergun...im getting crazy..who knows one?

Post by kulu » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:05 pm

Hi,

im now seeking for more than 1.5 years for a wonderful Watergun. From my youth I still know there were supersoakers, really the best. Now everything changed...and my small toys r us, only has bullshit which max. can shoot 10 meters.

My priorities are reaaally wide range, and really fat shot string...

So wide and fat shot......please I really need one!

Silence

Re: Super Duper Watergun...im getting crazy..who knows one?

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:28 pm

Welcome aboard!

Here are your options: look for CPS water guns on eBay, build one yourself, or buy a Vindicator or Pulse Master from a local toy store.

kulu

Post by kulu » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:36 pm

thanks. Im from germany...i think the best and cheapest way is to build an own....
is there any danger, like exploding bottles?

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:40 pm

If you use soda bottles as pressure chambers, then yes, they might explode. However, most people use pressure-rated plastic pipe for the chambers.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

kulu

Post by kulu » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:44 pm

i dunno how to build, cause measurements etc is so different from germany to america.....any tips?

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:48 pm

Hmmm...you're in Germany. That makes things more difficult.

You need to understand the basic principles. Read the APH guide - the APH is usually suggested as the best homemade to build first. Focus on the ideas, not the details of measurements.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

kulu

Post by kulu » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Well my english is actually pretty good...but i fear to make something wrong by missunderstanding for example 5' 1/2"

what does that mean? 5 inches of 1/2 inches?

Teh Moron

Post by Teh Moron » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:17 pm

Exactly what it looks like. 5 and 1/2 inches of tubing. 5.5 if you will

Honestly just read up on how they work and you can even design your own disregarding measurements.

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:32 pm

No, 5' 1/2" is five feet and half and inch. In this context it probably means five feet of 1/2" tubing, although usually it would mean to a single length. So yes, it's always good to ask. :cool:

You may have to find a PVC supplier in Germany, or use ones used by British potato cannon and water gun builders. They also use copper from time to time.

cantab and Teh Moron are right: the exact dimensions do not matter, except that everything has to fit together. Use dimensions close to what's used in the guide and you'll be fine. You may have to experiment with the sizes for the pump pieces, because everything has to seal properly.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:38 pm

Welcome to SSC!

Seems Silence beat me in mentioning a few things, but I'll post what I said anyway.

5' 1/2" means 5 feet and 1/2 inches. ' refers to a foot and " refers to an inch. This may be confusing to those not used to imperial units. I intend to use lengths in both imperial and metric units in a revision of the guide which could take years for me to get to.

Nearly none of the dimensions were chosen for a reason other than that 1) they produced an acceptable volume (which was arbitrarily chosen) or 2) they match the dimension of something else (i.e. pump seal OD matches the pump tube ID). You can choose whatever you want as long as the parts fit together.

The only part where a certain range of dimensions is necessary* is the pump tube which needs to be about 5/8 inches in diameter. That's about 15 or 16 mm. Large sizes pump more water per pump but are harder to pump. Smaller sizes pump less water and are easier to pump. 5/8 inches is a good compromise of volume and force.

* Unless you are very strong or very weak. This size works for most people.

When it came to making a guide, I had to choose dimensions or else I would get emails from confused people who think it can only be done one way.

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:41 pm

I don't know if PVC sizes the same as copper, but if so, then 15mm pipe should be good for most parts.
Arsenal:

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:47 pm

cantab, I don't think they fit together properly. Then again, maybe PVC sold on your side of the pond is in metric dimensions.

15 mm is the obvious choice since 22 mm is too big (nearly one inch in internal diameter, which is larger than the ID of 3/4" PVC). I don't know how much smaller the pipe gets, but the next size down is probably too small.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:42 am

ISTR pipe dimensions are external here. So PVC, being thicker walled, will give a thinner ID.

I think for smaller sizes there's 6, 8, 10 and maybe 12mm. The smallest are considered 'microbore', when made from copper are flexible, and used for some types of heating system.

If you must use pop bottles as PCs, then 22mm pipe may fit - just about - into their necks. I've never tested mind, so I'd suggest taking a bottle to the shop with you.
Arsenal:

Teh Moron

Post by Teh Moron » Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:44 pm

I'd cover the plastic bottle with some sort of pvc covering to prevent shrapnel when it shatters.

The material used in those bottles should hold up to pressure, but a) they are not rated for any pressure other than the maybe 5 psi you get from shaking the bottle, and b) the bottle itself has a sub 1mm thickness, not ideal for holding 70 psi (hehe)

I honestly believe the CPH is easier to build than the APH due to the fact a rubber bladder will burst, and a plastic shell will shatter, and PVC will crack.

Something to remember, if you use VERY cold water, there is a possibility of the PVC cracking and being rendered useless.

Honestly, the APH gets better performance but unless you make the design LPD, there will be some noticable drpoff.

Eruco

Post by Eruco » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:31 pm

Teh Moron wrote:I'd cover the plastic bottle with some sort of pvc covering to prevent shrapnel when it shatters.

The material used in those bottles should hold up to pressure, but a) they are not rated for any pressure other than the maybe 5 psi you get from shaking the bottle, and b) the bottle itself has a sub 1mm thickness, not ideal for holding 70 psi (hehe)

I honestly believe the CPH is easier to build than the APH due to the fact a rubber bladder will burst, and a plastic shell will shatter, and PVC will crack.

Something to remember, if you use VERY cold water, there is a possibility of the PVC cracking and being rendered useless.

Honestly, the APH gets better performance but unless you make the design LPD, there will be some noticable drpoff.
I'm a native English speaker and I had trouble fallowing that post can you explain the acronyms?