Stupid Injury

All topics, except for ones related to water fights. Posts made here do not count towards your post count.
DX

Stupid Injury

Post by DX » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:52 pm

Last night I was biking and hit a chainlink head-on. You know, those things which stretch across the entrance to parking lots/roads so cars can't come through at certain times. Well, I plowed right into one and made hard impact at the neck level. Without time to hit the brakes, I simply turned my head to the left and ditched, which transferred the shock and energy of the impact to my right knee. My neck only sustained scrapes and soreness. I ripped open the skin on my right knee, and got 6 stitches.

The first thing I did was check my neck, then I laughed, yes laughed, since the whole injury was so stupid. I had passed that chain-link 2 minutes earlier, and went around it. 2 minutes and I completely forgot it was there!

Moral of the story? Pay attention and don't get clothes-lined on metal chain links that you just passed minutes before. If someone had filmed it, I would be famous on Stupid Videos or YouTube.

So that explains why I haven't been active in the past day [couldn't climb stairs yesterday] and since Finals start tomorrow, I probably won't be able to for at least a week.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:57 pm

Ow. Not nice.

However, a few weeks back, I sliced down to the bone on my right thumb with an incredibly sharp knife. (the tip of the thumb)

I'm not going into details of how I achieved it, but I will say that a locking blade would have prevented it.

To my disadvantage, I am right handed, and writing was next to impossible for two to three weeks.

It's still sore, and is probably going to be a permanant scar (don't know yet, it's still healing - however, it looks fairly normal)
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

dr_spock

Post by dr_spock » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:56 am

Ouch. The moral should be pay attention and take care to what you are doing. Many years ago I got hit head on with another bike after passing a slow moving cute female cyclist. I guess the other guy was looking at her instead of me when he cut in front of me. My front wheel was shaped like that Pac Man game character. My pretty thumb was scarred for life. On the good side I was wearing a helmet when I smashed my head on the pavement.

DX

Post by DX » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:34 am

^That is what my knee looked like on day 7. Currently it is day 20 and there's nothing more than a pair of scabs. I can walk perfectly fine, can bike again, and can almost sprint again. Image
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:51 am

I once had a knee injury where the scab was 1/4" deep - caused by a biking injury.

The reason I know is that I knocked it loose a few days later.

Very interesting hole in my knee where the scab had come from.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

dr_spock

Post by dr_spock » Thu Jul 06, 2006 4:23 am

Duxburian wrote:http://www.soakermedia.net/images/duxbu ... s_knee.jpg

^That is what my knee looked like on day 7. Currently it is day 20 and there's nothing more than a pair of scabs. I can walk perfectly fine, can bike again, and can almost sprint again. http://www.isoaker.com/iB_html/non-cgi/ ... s/cool.gif
Eww, looks like my knee when I lost it going from pavement to gravel road making a sharp turn. Is your scab forming on your leg hair? I hated the scab pulling on the leg hair when I bent my knee. Happy healing.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:10 am

Talking about that injury I can't help but think of the simpsons episode where Homer injures his knee.

And then the scene where the wound heals over Ralph's hand.