Gun Sau: water war + martial arts

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
GunFu

Gun Sau: water war + martial arts

Post by GunFu » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:56 am

Hi everyone, I am new here.

I am writing to tell you about a new combat sport that I have been inventing with my brother and my dad. We call it Gun Sau and it is a combination of gunfighting with water pistols or Lazertag guns and martial arts defense and evasion skills. Basically Gun Sau was inspired by the action scenes in a science fiction movie called Equilibrium in which the hero was an expert in a fictional martial art called Gun Kata that used handguns as an extension of his body. We are all fans of Equilibrium so we decided to try to create a game that resembled the fight choreography in the movie.

Anyway we started off with pretty basic pump-action water pistols and they worked fine, though we have now started using LazerTag guns as well so we can train indoors. We have set up a website and a Forum because Gun Sau is a new idea and it's kind of hard to describe it to people. Now we are looking for feedback from water warriors, LazerTaggers, martial artists, science-fiction fans, etc. Our website is at http://www.gunkata.freeservers.com

It would be great to get some feedback on the idea and if anyone has any questions please ask me!

Thanks,

GunFu

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:51 pm

I assume the guns and wrist bands are it? if that is so, it truly makes water warfare even more dangerous. While I like the concept, the only thing in a water war that should be delivered as a payload is H20. What if you bash someone in the head accidentally with a gun? What if someone falls? Personally I think it is just too dangerous to try. Would be fun, but we (Forest Talons) would rather play it safe then sorry.

NiborDude

Post by NiborDude » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:54 pm

A soaker form of martial arts! How amusing. :Hey, that's funny.: You should get one of the battles on film. B) It's a little dangerous, but then again, everything has some danger to it.

<span style='color:EEF2F7'>Blinding ignorance does mislead us. O! Wretched mortals, open your eyes! -Leonardo Da Vinci

Hyper_Returns

Post by Hyper_Returns » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:08 pm

Im just going to quote 4 ollllldddd things from WWN.

Me:
"Why Don't you strap water balloons to your hands and then If your careful, when they get close, its just a light suckerpunch that pops the Water Balloon. Soaked. May be a option. Preferrably it would be a small waterballoon"

Bob:
"Gosh I hope hyper9 doesn't watch that wrestling XPBackfire-esque - Balloon strapped to hands - ROFL. This is the best dumbest idea I have ever seen in this community - HAhahah too funny!"

Unknown Man (Doom,Razor,RAK?):
"hyper, why don't you make attach waterballoons to a baseball bat while you are at it, than you will have a water warfare lightsabre! :P "

A Wise Man Named Adrian:
"Trust me guys, physical contact is something you definitely want to avoid in a water fight. *wise smilie*"

GunFu

Post by GunFu » Tue Dec 21, 2004 9:59 pm

Originally posted by Hyper_Returns@Dec 22 2004, 10:08 AM
Im just going to quote 4 ollllldddd things from WWN.

A Wise Man Named Adrian:
"Trust me guys, physical contact is something you definitely want to avoid in a water fight. *wise smilie*"
[snapback]20601[/snapback]

I know what you mean but Gun Sau is more like a martial art using waterguns than watergun fighting with physical contact, if that makes sense. we use lightweight pistol-type guns, they don't get close to peoples' faces and we wear padded gloves to avoid any injuries to the wrists and knuckles. All the people who do it so far have at least ten years of martial arts training so we have good body control.

I actually wouldn't advise doing it unless you have similar training, but if anyone does want to experiment, the best way to go is to follow the progression of drills on our website, just playit very slowly and non-competitively until you get confident.

We want to get some more pictures and a video on the Net but this is a new sport and these things take time ;)

Thanks,

GunFu

MyStic

Post by MyStic » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:14 pm

Sounda quite interesting. Unfortunatley like said before,it does have some risks to it,but it looks like something I would try a time or two ^_^
<span style='font-size:8pt;line-height:100%'><span style='font-family:Geneva'>-MyStic

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:17 am

I've done it before, and the risks are surprisingly low. It is very good practice for a conventional water fight because you learn to dodge a duck and stuff very quickly.
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes

Jadefalcon09

Post by Jadefalcon09 » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:33 pm

It is very good practice for a conventional water fight
It is an interesting alternative, but it should really be left out of field training. I'd think most people would join a Water War Battalion to soak others, have fun, etc and not to use martial arts on others. The only time I have EVER had to use martial arts in a Water Warfare situation was in defense, when we were attacked on a run by kids across the street who do drugs. Martial Arts do not belong in practical Water Warfare, stick with guns and water as your ammo in practical fights. If you would like to go ahead with this then fine, but it is strongly recommend you keep it out of regular training exercises. Too much chance of a gun breaking when colliding with another gun or person, someone getting hurt, or you breaking something by accident. Not a good idea.

GunFu

Post by GunFu » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:09 pm

Originally posted by Jadefalcon09@Dec 24 2004, 09:33 AM
It is very good practice for a conventional water fight

It is an interesting alternative, but it should really be left out of field training. I'd think most people would join a Water War Battalion to soak others, have fun, etc and not to use martial arts on others. The only time I have EVER had to use martial arts in a Water Warfare situation was in defense, when we were attacked on a run by kids across the street who do drugs. Martial Arts do not belong in practical Water Warfare, stick with guns and water as your ammo in practical fights. If you would like to go ahead with this then fine, but it is strongly recommend you keep it out of regular training exercises. Too much chance of a gun breaking when colliding with another gun or person, someone getting hurt, or you breaking something by accident. Not a good idea.
[snapback]20636[/snapback]

Hi, I'm sorry if this wasn't clear but Gun Sau is not supposed to be used in water fights, it is a martial game using water guns. I figured that people who are already into both Water Warfare and martial arts might like to play it as supplementary training.

Thanks,

GunFu

Commander_Gaunt

Post by Commander_Gaunt » Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:54 pm

Jade, I didn't mean to use in a water fight, it teaches dodging and using surroundings WHICH IS VERY GOOD PRACTICE FOR A CONVENTIONAL WATERFIGHT. I don't think I made that clear
<span style='color:gray'>There are only 3 sure things in life: Birth <span style='color:red'>Death <span style='color:gray'>and <span style='color :p urple'>Taxes