CPS 1000
55%
Cps 4100
No votes
CPS splashzooka
No votes
Max-d 5000
10%
Combo using any of the above options (please state)
5%
Other (please state)
30%

Total votes: 20

Tha Man

Long range gun

Post by Tha Man » Mon Apr 17, 2006 4:43 am

I was just wondering which you prefer in terms of sniping.

Jamesclarke

Post by Jamesclarke » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:43 am

gotta be the 1000, its just so light and compact but still has power and range
Primary weapon:CPS 1000
Pistol:SC Triple Charger (1 canister, the others keep getting stuck :P )
Backup Weapon:CPS 1700

Some Guy

Post by Some Guy » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:30 pm

Though I don't really snipe I find that modded guns and homemades are easily the best guns when it comes to range. The main ones that I'm thinking of is the 11k and my CPH. The 11k is about the size of a 1000, but is more to much more powerful depending on how many baloons you used. The CPH is good since It has a good shot time so that you can use high-output nozzles.

Jamesclarke

Post by Jamesclarke » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:59 pm

i cba making home mades, and i dont mod my guns, so the 1k is fine 4 me

DX

Post by DX » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:39 pm

I would honestly never use any of the above guns for long range work. None of them actually have long range. "Sniping" range has got to at least be in the 50s, preferably over 55 ft. The stream velocity also should be faster than a normal stock gun, keeping with the "sniper" concept.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:03 am

I think it was aquatech or something like that had highly recommended the use of water balloon launchers in sniping. (I've never tried it though, seeing as I haven't gotten around to building a WBL.)

Spinner

Post by Spinner » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:08 am

Soakerhunter wrote:I think it was aquatech or something like that had highly recommended the use of water balloon launchers in sniping. (I've never tried it though, seeing as I haven't gotten around to building a water balloon launcher.)
Yes, staying concealed with a WBL is the most effective way of sniping. The range is that much higher, it's that much safer for the sniper!
ISS: Soaker Sagas

Submit your saga and see it up with other titans of water warfare.

joannaardway

*long post warning*

Post by joannaardway » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:09 pm

Wbls are the weapon of choice for sniping.

The sniper can easily be 300-400 feet away from the target when they hit it, and potentially more if the water balloon launcher is specifically designed for sniping.

Any weapon other than a water balloon launcher really isn't good for sniping - sniping requires stealth, and a water stream instantly defeats that. Try spotting a water balloon travelling at more than 150 mph before it hits you.

Logic:

At 100 yards range, a water balloon travelling at 300 ft/sec will hit home in fractionally over one second - sound travels around 4 times faster than the balloon, so the target will hear any sound in .25 sec

Human reaction time to a complicated external stimulus (i.e. recognising the situation and knowing what to do), and is at best .35 sec, and can be above 1 sec

The balloon might be up to three quarters of the way to it's target before the target even has time to begin to react (it could have even hit).

This assumes they recognise the sound quickly, and can guess which way to dodge.

At best human acceleration from standing is 5 m/s^2 - loaded with soakers on rough terrain, I'm assuming 2.5 m/s^2 - which means they will have time to have moved roughly 10 cm - assuming almost perfect conditions (i.e. side on, fast reactions, they know what it is, and where it came from), they might just dodge the shot, but in reality they won't.

So given that a water balloon launcher can easily take out a target at 100 yds, and even the best of homemades/mods have trouble breaking 25 yards range (with poorer stealth capacity and easier to dodge), I'll take my Cerberus design anyday for range.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Jamesclarke

Post by Jamesclarke » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:16 pm

well meh, there arnt really any big woods or anythin near where i live, so u don't get the chance for really long range sniping, its mostly crouching behind a wall or something
Last edited by Jamesclarke on Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tha Man

Post by Tha Man » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:24 pm

Well, I fight in a of stock gun only battles so homemades are out of the question for me and also my parents are afraid of me hurting others or getting hurt from water balloon launcher's. Most of the water fights I'm in also take place on my street and at the school(which has a large open field with some groups of trees and a playground with lots of hiding spots).

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:18 pm

Well, Wbls are safe if used correctly - never ever use them when a standard weapon will do the trick, and probably for a fair distance past that.

Sniping ideally needs a long clear path, rather than woodland. Clearings are good sniper locations, and roads are good, but the sniper is likely to be visible.

Why would people specifically say "Stock gun only"? I'm sure there's a reason, but it would be nice to know.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

Silence

Post by Silence » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:42 pm

Other: Homemade

I have little access and knowledge to any of the legendary soakers such as those in the CPS series--and I suspect that this is why I turned to homemades. I only have a simple homemade that I'm not too impressed with (there wasn't much of a design--I actually just got some PVC and put something together), but I plan on building some that actually have some power.

Clearly, a good homemade will rock any commercial soaker (except maybe a modded gun), and that's what I'm hoping for. I should have a good homemade by summer (break is in six weeks for me :) ).

CRAZY Homemade

Post by CRAZY Homemade » Fri May 19, 2006 12:00 am

Option: Homemade
Can't beat homemade in power/distance and output. I have seen 65 foot distance on homemade(s) (three piece homemade (never had post anything on it yet)). My next project, Trinity, has the ability to go over 70 foot with the right nozzle. So home made is the way to go.
You wonder why I am called Crazy Homemade...

DX

Post by DX » Fri May 19, 2006 12:23 am

Never say a gun has the ability to hit a certain range until it is tested. The last time I claimed a range of 70, the actual came up short at 65. So make sure you state a speculation and not a fact until it is actually shot.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!