General Soaker Terminology

General water gun discussion.
isoaker_com

General Soaker Terminology

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:13 pm

This idea started off when I was wanting to write up new tips and tactics-type articles, but no longer wanted to refer to particular models of soakers, rather referring to general sizes and/or power levels of soakers. The main problem with classification is that it is a form of generalization and, as such, ends up missing out on properly defining some specific cases. That said, perhaps some general terms would make it easier for those just starting off to get a better feel for things. These are the following classification schemes set-up so far. I should note that everything is open to adjustment and if anyone has suggestions that others find easier to understand or make these more accurate, then things will be changed. The idea here is to come up with a general categorization system that fits most blasters.

Anyhow, enough babble, here are the two schemes so far (one for size; the other for power):

Size - Approx Length - Approx Weight
--------------------------------
Micro - 5 to 15cm (2" to 6")- <0.5kg (1.1 lbs) full
Small - 15 to 35cm (6" to 14") - 0.5 to 1kg (1.1 to 2.2lbs) full
Medium - 35 to 55cm (14" to 22") - 1 to 2kg (2.2 to 4.4lbs) full
Large - 55 to 70cm (22" to 28") - 2 to 4.5kg (4.4 to 9.9lbs) full
Extra Large - 70cm to 90cm (28" to 36") - 4.5 to 5.5kg (9.9 to 12.1lbs) full
Oversized - 90cm + (36"+) - >5.5kg (12.1lbs) full

Power - Output - Range (average, not max)
Minimal - <15mL/sec (<0.5 oz./sec; <0.5x) - <20'
Low - 15 to 60mL/sec (0.5 to 2 oz./sec; 0.5x to 2x) - 20'-40'
Mid - 60 to 150mL/sec (2 to 5 oz./sec; 2x to 5x) - 30'-45'
High - 150 to 600mL/sec (5 to 20 oz./sec; 5x to 20x) - 35'-55'
Extreme (low) - 600mL/sec to 1L/sec (20 to 33oz./sec; 20x to 33x) - 50' to 65'
Extreme (high) - >1L/sec (>33oz./sec; >33x) - >55'

Input on the above would be most appreciated.

Soak on!

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Tue Mar 21, 2006 1:45 pm

Sounds useful.

I'm not sure how well it will catch on - people are unlikely to want to refer back here when typing or reading.

However, I'll try to use it if the situation requires it.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:36 pm

It's not so much to use too much in general conversations, but I'm trying to come up with a general guide to help when writing about soakers. When someone says they recommend using a 'large', 'heavy' or a 'light' soaker, it'd be useful to have an approximate general definition of what should be considered such a soaker. To the more experienced members, such terms are almost second nature. However, for those newer to soaking, I'm hoping it'll help clarify things.

Of course, ease of use and general popularity of terminology will determine how well things end up being used. That's why I'm looking for input from the online community to come up with terms and definitions that most agree with. That way, members don't need to really change how they talk/type, but those looking for specifics can find clearer definitions.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:52 pm

I'll use these terms in my articles once the final version is decided upon. Consistency among terms on websites is essential to make sure that people understand what is being discussed. In fact, I actually started breaking up my new homemade water gun and water gun physics articles into the sizes and outputs listed.

It might be best if with each size listed, a water gun corresponding with the category was also displayed or linked to. That would give people a better idea of what each category describes because examples will be given that each user will become more familiar with.

Perhaps shot time should be included with the power - output - range statistics as well?

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:29 am

Shot time together with soaker power is an indication of a soaker's overall firepower. That raises a good point. It reflects the difference between the max power usually listed compared to the overall potential power of a full shot. However, my concern lies in how shot times are measured. Shot times, particularly for air-pressure-soakers, are based on an approximate length of time output is above 70% of max. I'll admit measuring this can be rather subjective (at least, the way I've been measuring things so far). As output decreases over time (this is reminding me of the instantaneous output thread), the accuracy of the power over a full shot is lost. Perhaps, though, simple terms for general shot times could be listed:

Time (output above 70%)
micro: <1 sec
short: 1-3 sec
average: 3-7 sec
long: 7-15 sec
very long: >15 sec

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:05 am

Looks good. I think I will use those. But if I may suggest, in power the highest stage should be perhaps "Very Extreme" since "(low)" and "(high)" seem not different enough. Plus "Very Extreme" certainly would match the "very long" from the shot time section.