SS going back to the past?

General water gun discussion.
Goldfish4209

SS going back to the past?

Post by Goldfish4209 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Recently, I saw three soakers on shelves; the XP 215, the Super Soaker Splash Fire, and the XP 70. It seems Super Soaker is re-releasing old guns. So far, their choices aren't the best, but it's at least a step toward the right direction. If SS can sell old XPs, surely they can step it up a notch with SS 300 or even small CPSs. At the very least, they could just try putting powerful soakers out for a year or two, just to test the waters. Little kids like gimmicks, but they also like power. Even most children prefer strength over special features. i wish hasbro would realize that...

(Note: I never realized how much the Splash Fire and CPS 1200 looked alike until today-Is one based on the other?)

StormGlorious

Re: SS going back to the past?

Post by StormGlorious » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:05 pm

The splash fire is based off the CPS 1200. Are you sure that this is not just old stock that the shop is selling off?

Storm
Armoury:CPS 2500, CPS 1700, 2xCPS 2100, SC PowerPack,
Triple Agressor, HydraPack, Lightning, APH x3, Pneumatic Grenade Launcher, Triple Shot, Liquidator, Arctic Blast
'Wherever there' s a Dark Age, There are Dark Apostles'
Play Magic: the Gathering

Goldfish4209

Post by Goldfish4209 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:31 pm

I am pretty sure that the XP 70 is being re-released (I have seen it on Amazon, other stores, etc.) I haven't seen the XP 215 as much, but I have seen it around, so I figure it is being re-released as well--Not sure about the Splash Fire.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:33 pm

I've never heard of the Splash Fire. Sounds like it's a new gun, even if it's 'new' in the way the CPS 4100 was new. Does anyone know what it's like?
I can believe the XP 215 being re-released; it's their smallest blaster and as such occupies a niche, and they've also frequently bundled it with larger blasters. The XP 70, however, seems less likely; it's a somewhat dated weapon, the 270 would seem the more likely candidate.

I've seen 240's and 220's on sale lately. I've also seen Storm 500's and that's DEFINITELY old stock, so the super soakers probably are too.

Hopefully, the fact that the Hydroblitz sold quite well will mean Hasbro will make some more big, and ideally more powerful, guns. In this day and age of internet shopping shelf space issues with large guns are no longer such a problem.

After all, young kids like big, and old kids like powerful, so selling big powerful guns should work.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:02 pm

I've seen XP70's last year around, or maybe it was the year before, I can't remember.

^ The HydroBlitz sold well?!?!? Are you kidding? That thing was the first 2007 soaker pulled off the shelves and never seen again... or maybe thats just in my area. 0_o As for internet shopping, larger blasters are more expensive to ship and gas prices aren't helping. (shelf space was never an issue as proven by the hydroblitz itself as well as several nerf blasters)

What Hasbro is trying to prove and has been trying to prove for the past 6 years is that gimmicks sell better than cheap, simple guns like the CPS 1000. Other than its lack of gimmicks, I can't imagine why those wouldn't be profitable nowadays since they're one of the cheaper blasters to make. (no stupid muilti-PC double triggered gimmicky super blasts, just a simple 5X stream thats capable of both distance and soaking) Their marketing antics seem to work very well too. Just look at the Max-Infusion line. "LIEK ZOMG OUTLAST AND OUTBLAST TEH COMPETISHUN!1!11!1" with packs that hold less than half the water of CPS blasters' reservoirs. (and even some of their PC's come close to the size of the 50oz)

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:14 pm

Hasbro's actually been re-releasing the XP 70 and XP 215 for a few years now. Hasbro tends to release new guns along with ones that are a few years old: for example, they keep re-releasing the Max-D guns, although they are several years old at this point. It seems they keep these guns as a base line, while the other guns are the new line.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Silence

Post by Silence » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:18 pm

The Splash Fire has a fake pressure chamber - it's just a pumper. It's obviously not very popular or talked-about.

I don't expect CPS will sell particularly well. My dad thought getting an XP 270 was overkill back when I got my first Super Soaker. Many kids' parent shop for them, and old SS and XP water guns are going to sell just as well as CPS when it comes to nostalgia.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 17, 2008 4:47 pm

I heard the Hydroblitz sold well on Amazon. Probably Hasbro stopped making it because it was too bloody complicated inside and thus expensive to make, cutting profit margins.

Also, I think the situation differs in different countries. I wish Max-D blasters cold be had here in the UK. The 2000 was a very good blaster for its size, pity it broke :-@ And given I almost always play OHK, guns designed with range in mind are right up my street, though how the marketing compares with the reality across the max-d line I don't know. I'm actually no big fans of the triggers; quite apart from the durability issues, I feel they make tap shots harder to do, and last longer.

That said, I think we're a bit quick to knock the current blasters. True, too many are gimmicky; true, there are no seriously powerful blasters; and true, some are rubbish. Yet there remain some that are good for their size; the Arctic Blast springs to mind (though even there, the Flash Flood was stronger), and the (new) Secret Strike is quite good too.

used man

Post by used man » Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:40 pm

the splashfire was also for sale where i live.
"dont mess with used man!"-sloganizer.net
thanks to dx for link to website

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:17 pm

I heard the Hydroblitz sold well on Amazon. Probably Hasbro stopped making it because it was too bloody complicated inside and thus expensive to make, cutting profit margins.
We discussed that here from what I remember. They have pages that rank top sellers and it was next to the Arctic Blast from what I remember. With that being said, Amazon is fairly different from a physical store in that they don't have to worry about the shelf space and stocking issues that the HydroBlitz will have compared against the Arctic Blast. I've actually never seen a HydroBlitz in stores so I think they might have trouble selling them in that setting.

cantab

Post by cantab » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:58 pm

Yeah, sells well on one online retailer =/= sells well full stop. Indeed, perhaps part of the reason the HB sold well on Amazon is BECAUSE it was less available in stores.

emperor_james

Post by emperor_james » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:36 am

The existence of the Hydroblitz takes away every excuse for not producing a powerful super soaker- size, weight, cost, difficulty pressurizing, etc. The only other thing I can think of would be safety which doesnt make that much sense. But who knows, maybe Hasbro got alot of complaints of damage from the CPS line that we just arent aware of.

Specter

Post by Specter » Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:57 am

when the HB came out last year, I guess it was, I saw a bunch of them in stores by me.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

JLspacemarine

Post by JLspacemarine » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:02 am

The Toys''r''us where I got my two HBs has a very large variety of super soakers. Sice most water guns does not sell very well where I live, they still has a lot of super soakers from the previous years such as the Triple Shot, the Arctic shock, Flash flood, Defender, helix.... I even saw some Aquapack Devastators remaining on the shelves last year.
Anyway there was about 8 HBs available when I bought two of them. Actually one of the two was leaking and having weak PRV problems so I went back to the store to exchange with another one. This was 4 weeks later and I think there wasn't a single hydroblitz missing since my last visit.
Armory: AS Hydroblitz (x2), MI FlashFlood, STE TripleShot, XP Backfire, XP 215, XP 105, XXP 175, Big Bottle BLaster(x2), SC Power Pak, SpeedLoader1000, SpeedLoader 1500, SpeedLoader Double-Cross 3000, CPS Splashzooka (x2), CPS 1200, CPS 1500,CPS 2100, CPS 2000 Mk2, CPS 1-3-5