Trying to identify 1980's pump gun

General water gun discussion.
Jimmy

Trying to identify 1980's pump gun

Post by Jimmy » Sat Mar 17, 2007 11:04 pm

Is anybody familiar with a certain pump gun that existed back in the late 80's/early 90's?

Basically, the thing looked like and Ak-47, and was pump action. It had a pump with finger grooves moulded into it. Unlike a super soaker, you only pumped it once and it was ready to go. It made a 'click' so I think it was spring powered or something.

It had a removable AK style mag (the gun only came with one) with a hole in the top for the feed tube to go down to the bottom of the mag. When you fired, it would shoot about 30 feet or so, and the nozzle of the gun had several holes, so the blast that came out was more like a shotgun than a fine stream, once hit... the target got a big wet patch on their clothing about 12 inches in diameter (assuming they were hit close).

I only ever saw the one gun, my neighbour owned one. (At the time I had a white-with red stripes Entertech waterhawk). I believe his gun was completely orange in colour.

Does anybody know what this gun was called and anybdy have any photos of it? Thanks for your help...

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:58 pm

Welcome to the forums! Sounds like a really neat gun. :)

The two people who are most likely to know about the gun are iSoaker, most easily found at the iSoaker.com forums, and ZOCCOZ, found at both forums maybe once a month or so--I'm not quite sure.

Was the gun a Super Soaker brand one? I doubt it, but if so, it might be reviewed at iSoaker.com. It might be reviewed anyway, but I doubt it.

Good luck in your hunt! Is this more of a nostalgic search, or do you just want to use the weapon in water wars?

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:57 pm

SilentGuy wrote:Welcome to the forums! Sounds like a really neat gun. :)

The two people who are most likely to know about the gun are iSoaker, most easily found at the iSoaker.com forums, and ZOCCOZ, found at both forums maybe once a month or so--I'm not quite sure.

Was the gun a Super Soaker brand one? I doubt it, but if so, it might be reviewed at iSoaker.com. It might be reviewed anyway, but I doubt it.

Good luck in your hunt! Is this more of a nostalgic search, or do you just want to use the weapon in water wars?
Thanks for the reply, yeah the gun had a very high COOL factor to it. The only downsides were... the mag had no water cap on it, and the gun only came with one mag. And you only got about 10 shots per mag. The upsides of course were... you only pumped once aqnd it was good to go, and if you did hit your target. they got VERY wet.

It might possibly have even been made by Entertech, because this gun was around long before super soakers were invented.

This is a nostalgic search :) I already have a wargame, I play paintball :)

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:45 am

Entertech's peplica water guns where mainly electric or spring powered called "chargers" or something similar(most people even didn't know about the chargers and think waterball launchers where the first ones using spring,but theye where the third). Larimi seems even more unlikely.
Thing is, the 80s where full of replica firearm waterguns including big names and no-name brands. What was the size of the Ak-47?

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:34 am

ZOCCOZ wrote:Entertech's peplica water guns where mainly electric or spring powered called "chargers" or something similar(most people even didn't know about the chargers and think waterball launchers where the first ones using spring,but theye where the third). Larimi seems even more unlikely.
Thing is, the 80s where full of replica firearm waterguns including big names and no-name brands. What was the size of the Ak-47?
Well from recollection, it was not as big as a real AK, but it wasn't 'miniature' either (Like those tiny little BB guns). I can't give you a measurement since it was so many years ago.

It didn't have a stock though. Picture an orange AK without a stock, and a pump handle with finger grooves, and you have a good idea what the thing looked like.

I have been doing a fair bit of google searching and can't find a picture of it anywhere, but I am fairly certain it was made by Entertech, basically because I remember it being the 'same brand' as my red and white Waterhawk.

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:36 pm

With water gun replicas I usualy mean waterguns that roughly look like the real thing(including paint job) even if it is smaller. Now since its orange, that prity much took care of that. Especialy since coloured waterguns only started turning up in the late 80s. Was it neon orange with a tad of cammo-yellow? I have seen those pump guns on ebay now and then. I think they did have magazines(the mag was almost 1:1 scale while the gun itself was around 2:1 scale.)

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:25 am

ZOCCOZ wrote:With water gun replicas I usualy mean waterguns that roughly look like the real thing(including paint job) even if it is smaller. Now since its orange, that prity much took care of that. Especialy since coloured waterguns only started turning up in the late 80s. Was it neon orange with a tad of cammo-yellow? I have seen those pump guns on ebay now and then. I think they did have magazines(the mag was almost 1:1 scale while the gun itself was around 2:1 scale.)
Yeah, neon orange, I'm not 100% sure what other colours it had, but I believe you're right, I think it had a bit of yellow too.

And yes, you're right, the 'banana' mag was definitely oversized compared to the rest of the gun. Thanks for your help Zoccoz, any idea what this thing is called? If not, which section of ebay do I need to search? (I've never used ebay before)

Good job on your gun database too...

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:48 am

I think its a Larimi product but I never got the name. The name was never mentioned from what i saw since it didn't come from a big toy line franchise. If you are on ebay, typ "Water Gun", "Water Pistol", "Squirt Gun", or "squirt pistol" to get the best results. "Larimi" sometimes works to. I doubt its on sale right now since those guns usualy apear during mid summer.

Big Bee

Post by Big Bee » Wed Mar 21, 2007 4:19 am

I think I can help. I believe the gun you are referring to is the Multi-Shot Commando Rifle. It was spring loaded and the piston had a "ratchet" to allow for 9 seperate shots. 18 1/2" long. Yellow, with an orange nozzle. It was made by Larami from 1986 through 1991. I have an image of it, but do not know how to show it.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:31 pm

Hey I'd love to see it Big Bee..

1. You could email me the image (jimmynz@lycos.com)
2. Or You have to have it online somewhere (ie- photobucket etc), and put the image URL in, when you click on the "insert image" button. It's the little yellow icon with the mountains^^^
Last edited by Jimmy on Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: spelling

Silence

Post by Silence » Wed Mar 21, 2007 8:17 pm

Uploading Images
(But Jimmy explained it well enough)

I'm impressed with both ZOCCOZ's and Big Bee's knowledge. Not surprising though. :)

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:40 am

This is the Multishot pic that Big Bee sent me. Unfortunately this is not the gun I am trying to identify. This multishot seems to have origins of copying the HKG3 assault rifle. Looks pretty cool though...

The gun I am after has an AK 'banana' mag, and the pump handle is on the front where the AK wood foregrip would be. The pump had moulded finger grooves, which I think were on a 45 degree angle.

I think this gun also had quite a 'chunky' (large) looking nozzle too, from recollection... it had several holes which gave the 'shotgun' effect.

Did Entertech make spring powered guns or just electric?

ZOCCOZ

Post by ZOCCOZ » Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:11 am

Just electrics. I was wrong when I said that Entertech did the spring powered "Power charger" series. Big Bee's image reminded myself on the Articles that I wrote (which makes my error ironic) which can be read at: http://www.geocities.com/zoccozwatergun ... pter6.html . So yeah, Larimi did the spring powered guns in the 80s.

(*shameless comercial*)- "Make sure to read http://www.geocities.com/zoccozwaterguncompactinfo/ to experience the wonderfull world of pre-soaker water guns". :D (Seriously, someone read it. I wrote it last year and it had relativly few views.)

Anyways, it shows why the 80s had the coolest looking water guns ever made. And I realy mean "ever made" with the current and increasingly strict toy gun laws.

Thank you very much for the image Big Bee. I don't think i have ever seen that yellow spring gun before. Was it a post-Power Chargers release? Do you have any more info on the "Power Chargers" pistols that Larimi released? Were there any versions made that were rifles and still in black colours?

Power Chargers are in Fig.1 .
Last edited by ZOCCOZ on Fri Mar 23, 2007 4:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

joannaardway

Post by joannaardway » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:42 am

I always get lost in posts like this. Soaker history interests me as usual, but I always get end up forgetting it.

I am reading, but expect me to be lost again next time something comes up.

Just letting you know I'm not dodging the forums.
"Over the hills and far away, she prays he will return one day. As sure as the rivers reach the seas, back in his arms again she'll be." - Over the Hills and far away, Gary Moore

"So many people have come and gone, their faces fade as the years go by. Yet I still recall as I wander on, as clear as the sun in the summer sky" - More than a feeling, Boston

BigBrother

Re: Trying to identify 1980's pump gun

Post by BigBrother » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:07 pm

See my post here:

http://forums.sscentral.org/t4778/

I think we're looking for the same gun!!!

(check your email too)

Also, my thread yielded this screenshot:

http://forums.sscentral.org/attachments ... 1201842311

This seemed to be awfully close to me. You?