Go Back   Super Soaker Central > Water gun technology > Repairs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Welcome to the SSC Forums! You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and more. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.
Important note: The SSC forums are now in archive mode. WaterWar.net is the new online discussion board for the water gun hobby.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 AM   #1
MarsGlorious
Thunderwars Representative

UserID: 1432
Lightbulb Weaknesses of Epoxy

Well, I cut open the valve of my CPS 1000 to fix a leaky pull valve. The leaking was kind of solved. However, it created a new problem. The epoxy wouldn't hold the valve and the valve would leak. I reinforced the valve to a point where I thought it would hold well. However, during battle, the valve started leaking heavily. It was busted again.

It was due to a weakness in the epoxy that I hadn't considered. It was pretty much the point where the epoxy sticked to the valve. When the PC/Bladder was at high pressure, it would gradually push the two halves of the valve apart. As the bond of the epoxy to the plastic is the weakest part of the epoxy fix, it would break. This would allow the halves to move further and ruin the epoxy fix.

When I discovered this, I was relieved because the solution was right in front of me. I told you in the leaky pull valve thread that I reinforced it with wire on one side. Well, the side with the wire stayed perfectly intact. I came to the conclusion that if you reinforce the epoxy with wire (on both sides) and spread out epoxy the problem shouldn't occur. The wire prevents the valve halves from moving apart.

Old 08-05-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
Silence
Administrator

UserID: 576
Default Re: Weaknesses of Epoxy

Good solution. That's a bit like reinforcing concrete with steel beams - concrete can take compression but not tensions, and with steel rods it's the other way around, for the most part.

Also, remember to sand the areas with fine-grain sandpaper if you can. You may also want to glue a strip of plastic or metal over the broken area like in the snapped trigger repair. It's the same concept - use metal to take tension.
Old 08-07-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Ben
Founder

UserID: 1

Nice idea. Sometimes you need something to take the tension as SilentGuy said, and epoxy isn't always the best thing to do that. Metal strips, wire, whatever you have could work. Perhaps we should suggest this more often.

[email address] / Please read this before emailing or PMing me

Do not ask me water gun questions by email or PM. Please post the question at the forum. Private questions and suggestions are welcome by PM and email. Also, I do not sell or buy water guns online.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #4
Drenchenator
Administrator

UserID: 320

That sounds like a great solution! Do you have a picture of your repaired valve? I follow what you did, but I'm having trouble picturing it vividly. I kept think of reinforced concrete like SilentGuy; perhaps I should be thinking of that though. Still, a picture would be helpful for anyone else with a similar problem.

Great job on the repair!