XPS experiment

Threads about water gun modifications.
soakernerd

XPS experiment

Post by soakernerd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:40 pm

I am thinking of trying XPS. I know it won't be better than CPS, but it has definite advantages over AP: more surface area, no mist shots.

I am also planning on installing a tire valve in the PC, so it can still be pre-pumped with air.

I need a commonly available, single PC, air pressure gun. It needs to have both the input and the output on the bottom (think MD6K or xp 70).

Does anyone have any idea about what soaker would work well? I am thinking the WW sphynx, if I can get one cheap.
Pessimist: These blasters hold no water
Optimist: But their small output means they last just as long
Marketing: Huge blasts of water!
user: I shot it at an angle and it went a whole ten feet!

C-A_99

Re: XPS experiment

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:25 pm

This will be better off as a homemade than a mod. Stock PC's are weak and can't handle much pre-pumping, and installing a Schrader valve may weaken the plastic even more.

XPS seems to be something better left tested on homemades. It may also perform better than using a piston due to the surface area. As always, you'll need to find a creative way to seal the balloon off from the air but I'd imagine that this is easier for homemades than for XP's.

cantab

Post by cantab » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:58 pm

The Sphinx is elastic pressure.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

soakernerd

Post by soakernerd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:08 am

Check out this thread. At least in america, the sphynx is an AP remake of the lightning.
Pessimist: These blasters hold no water
Optimist: But their small output means they last just as long
Marketing: Huge blasts of water!
user: I shot it at an angle and it went a whole ten feet!

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:16 am

I'm very confident my model, bought in the UK last summer IIRC, is Hydro Power. It has the pinhole in the top of the PC case, and I do notice a rubbery smell from the nozzle after dry firing. I don't want to open the blaster up to be absolutely sure.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:37 am

It's easy to turn into AP though, given the vertical positioning of the PC.

Do you have a WW Gorgon? Or have you seen it in stores? I know Martianshark has one which is AP. It's odd that they would have the Sphinx operate as HP while it's close cousin, the Orca, is AP.

Or perhaps BBT left the Sphinx as HP earlier, then quickly switched to AP after the injunction of the lawsuit that occurred.

isoaker_com

Post by isoaker_com » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:51 pm

C-A_99 wrote:Or perhaps BBT left the Sphinx as HP earlier, then quickly switched to AP after the injunction of the lawsuit that occurred.
I believe this explanation is the one that makes the most sense, particularly since the Sphynx and Gorgon were sold in the UK last year. May have been some left-over stock that was shipped out before the injunction occurred.

:cool:
:: Leave NO one dry! :: iSoaker.com / iSoaker.net ::