VHS 3.5

Build a homemade water gun or water balloon launcher and tell us about it.
C-A_99

VHS 3.5

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 22, 2011 12:10 am

The VHS article needs some serious updating and currently only depicts versions 1.0 and 2.0, shown below.

A picture of VHS 3.0 was never taken, but all I really did was move a few parts around.

There are a few changes from 3.0 to 3.5 however, such as the fact that the bottom filler is actually useful now and works for filling any blasters instead of SC only. Also, the properly connected PVC (as opposed to being 3 fittings lazily mashed together) is a lot more durable and can handle pressure better. The fittings were never designed nor intended to be stacked over each other as I did earlier.

Here are pictures.

Here you can see the updated connections. Aside from that, the only difference between 3.0 and 3.5 is the fact that I removed the SC filler on the bottom of the valve and placed in a 3/4" nipple instead. The nipple can reliably refill most blasters but the SC filler only worked exclusively for the SC's and never even did the job reliably (an issue I may not be able to fix easily); it is unreliable because the pressure often shoots the blaster out while filling. Otherwise it seals fine.

This shows the add-on; the SC filler in a 3.4" coupler.

In the end, a better solution would have been to simply take out the dremel and trim the SC filler so that it fits in most blasters. However, the nipple allows for better flow. The problem is that originally, I was hoping for the SC filler to work as a nozzle as well, but the lamination was far too poor and it now performs like a riot blast. However, because I was expecting it to work as a nozzle, I drilled the hole to be way too small for filling blasters, but I can't drill it much larger without potentially running into problems.

I'll see what I can do, and if I can make the SC filler to work excellently for filling regular blasters, I'll post up about it. If I drill the SC filler to 1/2" it should work acceptably for filling standard blasters.

Previously, I've been stuck with using the nozzle to fill blasters, which is horrible in so many ways. The angle of filling forces the hose to bend very far and wears things out, and the flow is even worse than the flow from the SC filler.

Now, going to update the VHS article accordingly as soon as I can.

Edit: Article updated. http://www.sscentral.org/homemade/vhs.html
Last edited by C-A_99 on Sun May 22, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

SEAL

Re: VHS 3.5

Post by SEAL » Sun May 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Nice! If I ever get any SC blasters and some spare PVC I'll definitely make a few of these.
Captain of the Catskill Mountain S.E.A.L.s (Soaker Elite Assault Legion.)

-G-JiV-

Post by -G-JiV- » Sun May 22, 2011 4:39 pm

Hm, you mean you will build up a adapter to fill up non-SC blasters ? hm, sounds interesting^^ Filling pull-vale guns will be easier to fill :)

MAy I should go and build such a thing up too :D
A gunner has to do what his Soaker requires...

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:42 pm

The main point of the VHS has almost nothing to do with filling SC's or non-SC's or what have you. The point is to cram as many tasks as needed from a hose during a water war into one unit and to be able to switch between these functions reasonably quickly. The SC adapter I used doesn't fill standard blasters properly and does a horrible job, so I need to adjust that accordingly.

You don't need an SC to make a VHS. The base v3.5 VHS design cannot fill SC's without that attachment but it can do a heck of a lot better job at filling non-SC blasters.

Of course, the side effect of a VHS trying to do everything is that the ideal VHS can fill SC's without problem, and without needing an adapter, so the VHS project ends up soaking 2 birds with one stream. (Cheesy joke, sorry lol.)

BlueCharged

Post by BlueCharged » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:47 pm

Pretty good. I'll think about making one