help with recruiting!

Topics about water war tactics, water war planning, and past water war stories.
Tactical Theory 101

help with recruiting!

Post by Tactical Theory 101 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:09 am

Hi, I always wanted to make a team and have water fights but in my community it's almost impossible. Ok I'll describe a few things. I'm in Grade six and I can't get any support from anyone in my school(other than a few friends) because they wouldn't take the game seriously nor would they follow the rules.

In my surrounding area I'm pretty sure it's the same situation because either their just like the kids from my class or have not the slightest idea what a water gun is. Trust me I've met almost all of the kids there.

However I have a few friends but they have little experience and need lots of training but that's no problem.

Please help me. I need a way to get more people inspired about this. Any tips at all will be greatly appreciated. :confused:
Armoury: Xenon(2), Orca, SS Secret Strike(2),

DX

Post by DX » Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:27 am

I've found that the best method of growing a team is starting your wars first. Let your wars build up a reputation, then, let that reputation spread. Eventually, it does much of the talking for you. For example, my team started off as a group of 11 in 2004. Now, it is a large group of 39. People talked about how exciting the wars were during lunch, traded smack talk in the halls, and outsiders needed explanations: what are these water wars? They discuss our night battles, ambushes, great standoffs, Douchenators, High Point, jumping the dam, and other memories that 4 seasons of epic warfare create. Many people have joined just from these descriptions. I am not exaggerating when I say that my team continued to grow even after I stopped personally recruiting in March.

Don't just recruit your best friends, and be wary of best friends. How mature are they? Character is much more important than relation to self. I have several guys I don't know too well on my team. They fight strongly and listen to instructions though, and I have come to know them well through the wars.

You need to create rules early on, preferably as a team. Most commanders have absolute power and take it too far. I personally have absolute power backed by rule #1.1 in our list, but I exercise it much differently than most. Commanders must gain respect before they may command effectively. Many players will not listen unless their respect is either won or taken. What I do is involve all players in executive decisions, even allowing players to call the big shots when they have a better idea than myself. This way, no one can claim that I abuse power. Likewise, I back my right to command by not just being the founder of the team. I have a 15-2-5 record, and am sitting on an undefeated streak that was started in August of 2005 and is still going today. If you know what you are doing [or convincingly fake it], you may gain respect simply because your teammates feel they can trust your decisions.

Now as for someone to fight, I'd suggest creating an "enemy" that is not really composed of enemies. My team and my enemy are so much alike that we compete for the same groups of friends, often splitting them. If no one is interested in becoming your enemy team, you can divide your own team in half and fight amongst yourselves. This gives your players valuable experience that will be useful if you do eventually acquire an enemy.
Mess With the Best, Get Soaked Like the Rest!

2004 Red Sox - World Series Champions
2007 Red Sox - World Series Champions!

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:10 am

Hmm, when I started off, I would just invite people, just like you would with a party, then arrange guns, teams, etc. there. Find friends who are into shooting games, or possibly airsoft, or just see who would be interested. After that, show them how things work. Unless they've all been living under a rock all their lives, they'll at least know about having to pump and that pump building up pressure. If possible, explain a little on how to use them efficiently, but if they don't listen, just carry the game on, but be sure they aren't messing with and breaking your guns. If they do, you can always repair, and if they don't care about it, you've just taken a step of eliminating and keeping the team to reasonable players.

Basic rules would deal with boundaries, taking care of guns, teams, basic game mode, and just general, common sense respect. (i.e. don't wrestle people over guns) Just don't do any one hit kill games or anything just yet, and give them a few tips when buying guns if they want to. (Just make sure they're not getting guns like the Overload, Secret Strike, Arctic Shock, etc. Recommend the Arctic Blast, Flash Flood, Orca, and Tiger Shark. The defender could work too, but probably only does well with a nozzle drill)

Recruiting/inviting people around the summer months is obviously the best time. People whom the heat is really getting to should enjoy a good game or 2.

Tactical Theory 101

Post by Tactical Theory 101 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 10:30 pm

Those are some good tips that I'll take into consideration. I was just thinking though. Could some please give a list of some good rules you think would be effective or have been effective for you in the past.
Armoury: Xenon(2), Orca, SS Secret Strike(2),

envyev118

Post by envyev118 » Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:26 am

I wouldn't mind joining a supersoaker team ---ino that's not what it is called but the proper name will not come to my mind at the moment ---but you failed to mention where you live , i will not fly to florida to have a water gun fight. :rolleyes:
A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over.
---Benjamin Franklin

BainbridgeMilita

Re: help with recruiting!

Post by BainbridgeMilita » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:20 am

Does anyone one in washington have a super soaker I would like to join?

cantab

Post by cantab » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:22 am

This thread is over two years old. Check the dates (to the top left of the post text) before posting.
I work on Windows. My toolbox is Linux.
Arsenal:
Super Soaker: XP215, 2xXP220, Liquidator, Aquashock Secret Strike M(odded), Arctic Blast M, CPS1200, CPS2100, SC Power Pak, 3l aquapack, 1.5l aquapack
Water Warriors: Jet, Sting Ray M, Shark, Argon M, Tiger Shark, PulseMaster
Others: Waterbolt, The Blaster, Storm 500, Shield Blaster 2000, generic PR gun, generic backpack piston pumper (broken), 3l garden sprayer M, 10l water carrier:

meatslycer

Post by meatslycer » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:48 pm

make some flyers for a water gun fight at a local park make friends with the people and ask them if they want to play more often