PVC ball valves

General water gun discussion.
Specter

PVC ball valves

Post by Specter » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:51 pm

Is it possible to take the handle off a PVC ball valve to put your own on or make a better one?
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

Silence

Re: PVC ball valves

Post by Silence » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:14 pm

Most likely - just take out the screw that holds the plastic handle on. However, people usually cut a piece of PVC as a torque lever and mount it onto the existing handle.

Specter

Post by Specter » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:24 pm

When I take the white cap off of mine there's no screw.
My "arsenal": Customizable APH, Storm 600 pistol (still haven't finished fixing this), launcher- Model:AB1.0(Decommissioned), AB1.5, soon AB 1.1(2"rebuild) maybe ill get something else in the future
My site Image My website/forum is back up and running, for the most part after it having been deleted in october

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:31 am

Could you take a picture of your valve? There's a few different types out there and I want to see what type you have.

I haven't figured out how to take apart the PVC ball valves I've had access to. If they have a screw in the handle that'd be neat, but I haven't seen that (I should check). The handles on brass ball valves can be removed rather easily with a wrench. If you want to replace the handle I'd suggest trying brass valves then.

If you can't find an obvious way to remove the handle, you might be able to cut off the two sides to the handle and drill some holes through the handle itself to make a new handle. That should work.

C-A_99

Post by C-A_99 » Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:36 pm

I'm pretty sure the PVC valves from Lowe's don't have screws on them and I believe most other PVC valve's don't have them either.

The torque lever Silent mentioned about is probably the best solution for making triggers. If you just want a torque arm handle, they were originally just for that.

Specter

Post by Specter » Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:04 pm

I don't shop at lowes.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:32 pm

The PVC ball valves where Ben and I live don't have removable handles. All of the metal ones do and it's very easy to replace them. I don't think a PVC ball valve would be worth replacing the handle (I'm more in favor of elongating it like what Ben did in Supercannon II), but if you can, do it--the stock handles tend to not be good for battles.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.