My CPH

Homemade water gun threads that are notable.
Killer 7

My CPH

Post by Killer 7 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:49 pm

This is my attempt at a CPH. I made it mostly by looking at Pictures of the one Ben made, and looking at cps tech in general. I constructed the pump according to Doom's pump article, and plan to use that format on almost every homemade from now on. The chamber is made of three layers of LRT the inner layer is 1/2" ID-3/4"OD, the next layer is 3/4" ID-1"OD, the outer layer is 1"ID-1 1/2" OD tubing. Overall the wall of the three layers is 1/2" thick. I will try to post some pictures of it firing soon, but I cannot take any right now as it is snowing. THe best nozzle I have used with it so far is the 5/16" nozzle. The end puddle lands at 58' and the last drop falls at about 63'. The stream is very laminar. The CPS containment chamber is made from 3" pvc drainpipe. My father and I came up with a somewhat new, and easier way to layer LRT If I find time I will post about that. This is my favorite homemade to use in battle, but I have a hard time finding enemies willing tho go against something so powerful., I will also take some output ratings as soon as the weather warms up a bit.
Attachments
CPH 2.jpg
CPH 1.jpg

Drenchenator

Re: My CPH

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:25 am

Again, this looks great. The only thing that I can recommend is that you use 4" drainage pipe for your bladder casing. It has an internal diameter of almost exactly 4" and is only about 1/16" thick. It's great for this kind of thing: it's lighter and cheaper. Your performance should improve using it because the bladder can expand more in diameter.

I'm looking forward to the pictures of it firing.
The Drenchenator, also known as Lt. Col. Drench.

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:38 am

Thanks for the tip I will try the 4" drainpipe next time, but it would be somewhat difficult to change over on this gun because of the way it fits together.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:31 am

Looking good! Someone new made an LRT CPH and posted about it! I'm very impressed.

I'm looking forward to your way to layer LRT because I've found that annoying in the past. Please do post that. It'd help a lot.

It would be annoying to upgrade this because you'd have to cut off the 3 inch cap and then somehow get a 4 inch cap on. That's why I suggest using threaded ball valves (or will in the new article about this). It makes little upgrades like that simpler. My new CPH has a lot of threaded and barbed stuff to make upgrades and repairs easier. ;)

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:39 am

It was pretty stupid of me to make the gun then make it difficult to upgrade it.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:11 am

I wouldn't say it was stupid. You learn something every gun you make. That's all.

And you might have some luck upgrading the container size by sawing the ball valve off and then putting a coupler in that spot so you can get a little more pipe length. You might be able to cut the pipe about in the center so you don't have to get rid of the ball valve. That should save some money if you intend to upgrade.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:23 am

Don't worry about it; the gun performs spectacularly anyway. I was just saying that you could--if you want to--squeeze a couple extra feet out of the gun. Again, I'm looking forward to the shot images.

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:41 am

I agree, you've built a solid water gun. It's true you learn after you make even minor mistakes, and it's not just in water gun building, either.

One thing you might be able to do is shorten the pressure chamber case. Unless you lengthen the bladder, I'm not sure the expanded length will be long enough to justify the case's length (unless you've already checked). Because the small case tubing stops the bladder's growth at a certain point, the bladder won't reach full length, either.

Anyway, great job! It's a shame nobody wants to have a water fight against you, but I don't blame them.

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:55 pm

Heres those pictures of my CPH firing I promised. Enjoy! :D
In all of the pictures the nozzle being used is 1/4" except the last one. That is the Riot Blast. I would have used the 5/16" nozzle, but it needs some work done. It currently does not shoot a very laminar stream, like when I first made it. So I think I will make another one. Or else I will repair this one.
Attachments
CPH riot blast.jpg
CPH firing 4.jpg
CPH firing 3.jpg
CPH firing 2.jpg
CPH firing 1.jpg

Silence

Post by Silence » Sun Jan 13, 2008 12:56 am

Good pictures! Thanks for getting them. :cool:

I'm not sure what made your 5/16" nozzle suddenly go bad, but it may be difficult to repair. It would probably be easier to drill a new one, or expand the opening from a smaller nozzle.

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Sun Jan 13, 2008 2:21 am

Nice shot pictures, as usual. That's a pretty nice looking riot-blast too. Better than what I remember mine being like, though, I haven't tried one in a while.

What's wrong with your 5/16 inch nozzle? Is is not drilled cleanly? I usually do multiple passes with a drill press for about the cleanest drill I could get. After that I remove burrs with a pocketknife. If you don't do something like that, you might want to try it. ;)

Killer 7

Post by Killer 7 » Sun Jan 13, 2008 3:02 am

I figured out what the problem was with my nozzle. When I deburred it i accidentally left a small sliver of pvc attatched to the edge, I shaved it off and the nozzle works much better now. I also enlarged it a little with an X-acto knife. I find it comes in very handy with any squirt gun project. Now the nozzle is about 1/32" larger.

Drenchenator

Post by Drenchenator » Sun Jan 13, 2008 4:59 am

Great pictures! The gun looks awesome.