Need Help On Backpack Mod...

Threads about water gun modifications.
rinkydinkysplat

Post by rinkydinkysplat » Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:48 pm

So guide me throughout it (unlike the article, no offense doom)

this is how I saw it:

1. take trash bag
2. fill it up
3. put latex tube into the soaker
4. seal

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:30 pm

That's somewhat how it's suppose to go. I don't know where you are getting the "latex tube" from however. The word latex doesn't appear in the backpack mod article.

The backpack mod is one of the most simple modifications there is. If you are having trouble with it, please explain what your problem is and we will be far more likely to provide you with help. We also could correct this problem for future visitors of our site.

rinkydinkysplat

Post by rinkydinkysplat » Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:06 am

This is The Article

You'll need the following:
Backpack to store the bag in Trash bag (preferably the kind without a drawstring) Bottle with a large (~2 inches in diameter) hole, include the cap Scissors Drill bit slighly smaller than the tubing size Vinyl or similar tubing (I used 3/8") The bottle

HUH? What bottle?

allows you to change the trash bag when it gets damaged, and it also makes a perfect seal. You'll have to cut off everything on the bottle except for the threaded part.

Huh? Threaded Part?

Make sure there are no sharp edges that could damage the trash bag, if it is necessary put some duct tape over the sharp edges.
Take the bottle's cap and put a hole close to the center a bit smaller than the tubing you are using. You'll want a good seal, but you also want it to fit. If the tubing doesn't fit in that hole, use the scissors to slightly widen it.

If the trash bag has a drawstring, cut that part off. You won't be needing it. Take the open end of the trash bag and roll it up a bit, so you can thread it through the bottle's open hole. Making sure the bottle's hole has the threads pointed away from the bag, and insert the bag, leaving about 4 inches sticking out. Open the bag over the threads, and screw the cap on over the bag, sealing the bag onto the cap and threads. Cut off the extra trash bag, attach the tubing

but how to get the tubing in a water gun?

and put this in a backpack. You're trash bag backpack is completed.
You can fill this by either pouring the water into the trash bag or attaching a quick connect/disconnect attachment, available in gardening departments of home improvement stores.

oh and you didn't spell check YOUR OWN ARTICLE. no offense

perilous1

Post by perilous1 » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:29 am

Originally posted by rinkydinkysplat@Apr 12 2005, 05:06 PM
This is The Article

You'll need the following:
Backpack to store the bag in Trash bag (preferably the kind without a drawstring) Bottle with a large (~2 inches in diameter) hole, include the cap Scissors Drill bit slighly smaller than the tubing size Vinyl or similar tubing (I used 3/8") The bottle

HUH? What bottle?

allows you to change the trash bag when it gets damaged, and it also makes a perfect seal. You'll have to cut off everything on the bottle except for the threaded part.

Huh? Threaded Part?

Make sure there are no sharp edges that could damage the trash bag, if it is necessary put some duct tape over the sharp edges.
Take the bottle's cap and put a hole close to the center a bit smaller than the tubing you are using. You'll want a good seal, but you also want it to fit. If the tubing doesn't fit in that hole, use the scissors to slightly widen it.

If the trash bag has a drawstring, cut that part off. You won't be needing it. Take the open end of the trash bag and roll it up a bit, so you can thread it through the bottle's open hole. Making sure the bottle's hole has the threads pointed away from the bag, and insert the bag, leaving about 4 inches sticking out. Open the bag over the threads, and screw the cap on over the bag, sealing the bag onto the cap and threads. Cut off the extra trash bag, attach the tubing

but how to get the tubing in a water gun?

and put this in a backpack. You're trash bag backpack is completed.
You can fill this by either pouring the water into the trash bag or attaching a quick connect/disconnect attachment, available in gardening departments of home improvement stores.

oh and you didn't spell check YOUR OWN ARTICLE. no offense
[snapback]23860[/snapback]

I don't really see what your problem is, it makes sense to to me. And by the way, you probably should have been more polite because it says in the board rules that it is a bad idea to insult an admin. It also says in the board rules that you should try not to offend people.

Hunt_and_Annoy

Post by Hunt_and_Annoy » Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:50 am

Uh, I don't think it was meant as an insult...Doom always tells us to spell check our posts, so it's kinda funny that he forgot to do it on his own article...I think it was meant as a joke...anyway...the article helped me understand the backpack mod a little better.. now I think I will attempt to do it...

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:55 am

Originally posted by hunter@Apr 12 2005, 10:50 PM
Uh, I don't think it was meant as an insult...Doom always tells us to spell check our posts, so it's kinda funny that he forgot to do it on his own article...I think it was meant as a joke...anyway...the article helped me understand the backpack mod a little better.. now I think I will attempt to do it...
[snapback]23868[/snapback]

One trash bag might not work well enough, maybe put two together. Even in a backpack it might burst. Trust me you're better off using more than one, layered, in case one breaks.

Forceuser

Post by Forceuser » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:00 am

I can't see the spelling mistakes you're referring to.

The bottle is what you use to attach the bag to the tubing. You cut off all the bottle apart from the top bit with the screw thread (where the cap attachs on normally - threaded part). The tubing normally attaches into the gun through the cap, you would have to drill a hole in it.
Hey, images in sigs work again! Woo!

SSCBen

Post by SSCBen » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:13 am

The only error I see is a "you're" where "your" was meant. That probably was one of the negative results of spell checking. Also, most of our articles haven't been spell checked yet and I am getting around to spell check them.

Any errors you find would be appreciated! I think you should know that it's a lot easier to use a built in spell check than spell check an entire website. On SSCentral, I must copy and paste the article into a word processor, spell check, copy it back into a text editor and re-add the HTML formatting (takes a lot of time for a lot of articles).

If you're afraid that the bag will break, just use one of those thicker trash bags. I used one normal trash bag for over a year and it had one tear which made a small leak. I repaired this with a small patch of duct tape, however I replaced the bag with a stronger one because a replacement was already overdue.

As far as he insulting me, he can do that all he wants. I get that all the time, not that I like it, but I get it. Typically they are just mad that they were put on a one day read-only state or something like that and sent me a PM or email about it. Most of the time I didn't even ban them either!

blaze

Post by blaze » Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:25 pm

Haha yes Doom knows what it's like to be insulted by people on forums...good times...

What I would do is experiment with different types of bags from each company, getting the "industrial" kind or whatever their highest quality one is called. Try getting one full of water, tying it up, and throwing it around. See which bag lasts the longest. On the commercials Glad looks pretty good. Try Glad.

But of course thats if you have a lot of time on your hands. Which I do. So I don't know, maybe you do. Cause I do. Cause I'm on break. You get the point.